Chapter 35

The council needed another member, a very important one actually who would take the position of the treasurer. A lot of candidates have been asking for votes. As a meeting was called and a huge mess was created as most of them claimed to belong from richer and more influential families. It was impossible to choose the actual person who would actually be the best one among them according to their family background.

Naruto had made quite a few friends.
"Few!? You call this few!?" Lee's voice turned high pitched. Deidara spoke,"What's the problem?" "Nothing! Look at all the people! Where were they before!?" Actually Naruto had quite some visitors during lunch break and other times. Naruto looked super nervous. It was all because he stood against the council like an one man army.

"What am I supposed to do with this?" There's a letter in a pink envelope in Naruto's hand which he just opened to find a confession letter. A confession letter for the first time in his life. "Go date! What else!?" Deidara cheered. "What? No! I don't want to be bothered by someone when I came here to graduate with good grades."
"Meh." He expressed his boredom.

Naruto couldn't bring himself to even think about dating when his mind was always occupied with a raven. Sasuke and Naruto seemed to be avoiding each other or maybe they just hadn't met. Naruto tried to shake off the weird feeling in his chest. He wanted to concentrate on his studies. As he successfully made two friends who had no ulterior motive, he had nothing to be worried about.

Then there was that certain heaviness which couldn't be lifted, the gaze of Kakashi Hatake. He was always staring at Naruto, his eyes only had hope and greed. Naruto couldn't understand. Why did the grades of Naruto matter to him that much? The urge to defeat an Uchiha? Was he even capable of that? His hands were sweaty. The next day, the results were going to be published. A sleepless night was waiting for Naruto.

The next Day

Although the day didn't affect others much as it was just a simple examination. As long as one didn't fail any subject, there was nothing to worry about. But it wasn't the same for Naruto. The responsibility which was put upon his shoulders couldn't be lifted until he actually defeated the Uchiha. Everyone was seated in the classroom. As usual the classes continued but the after the lunch break, the results would be posted.

Naruto was clutching his phone tight in his hand. It was slipping because of sweat.
A few minutes and there would be the results. Everyone talked looking nonchalant but only two persons didn't have it easy. One was Naruto who had his head lowered, waiting for his phone to make ding sound. The other was the president of student council himself.

The school made for elites had a few seats reserved for nothing but students with pure talent who were put above the usual criteria. The requirements would be different for them. They didn't have to have a huge net worth, didn't have to be born from a wealthy family, didn't have to be the heir of a tycoon, a politician, a celebrity or anyone with a high salary. They had to be one thing. They had to be mad talented.

The scholarship system was made for such students. Normally commoners didn't bother to sit in the examination hall. But Naruto did as he took it as a challenge. But there was someone else, who passed that examination with higher marks. As the students were given the right to keep it hidden, that person also decided to hide it well. Naruto had no idea who that person was.
But if people knew, they certainly would be surprised..

He was called inside. As he knocked, a cold voice spoke out. "Come in." Sasuke pushed open the huge door only to find his father working on his laptop. He stood before him with his eyes coldly staring at his father. They owned the same eyes. After a few more minutes, the business tycoon looked up to meet his son's eyes which held no fear.

Fugaku spoke,"Sasuke, your teacher praised you. I heard you were remarkable." Sasuke only stared at him. "That's good. The least I want to hear that my son is an absolute failure. I believe that's not in our blood. But Sasuke, I'll have you change your school now." Sasuke was ready for that. 'The school of elites' was waiting for him.

"But I won't make it easy for you."
Another challenge.
"Read this."
He passed a few papers toward Sasuke. Sasuke turned the pages to find a few rules and regulations. "A scholarship?" Sasuke sounded a bit surprised.
"You are right."
Fugaku's expression changed slightly from cold to amused. As if it was pleasing to see his own blood to suffer although he could make it easy for them. But Sasuke couldn't be defeated.

Sasuke got into the school without any help from his father who was the chairman of the board of the school. The student who obtained the highest mark in history, who got into the school with a fully funded scholarship was nobody but Sasuke. It sounded cliche but for Sasuke and Itachi, it was never easy. Their father wanted them to become more than a human, maybe a monster.

"The moment Sasuke becomes second to someone else, he'll loose his Scholarship." That meant if Naruto managed to defeat Sasuke, it meant the end of Sasuke. Sasuke knew it well and he would never be defeated, he would never give up.

Naruto's phone vibrated. He felt his heart pulsating. With his shaky hand, he turned on to find a link. As he pressed it, he was taken to the page of the school. There it was. His eyes couldn't look at the top, so he went to the bottom. He wasn't there. He kept going, bottom to top, bottom to top. The top positions were filled with the names of the council members. Who didn't know them?

When his eyes couldn't find his name anywhere, he paled. As his eyes finally made it to the top, he saw his name. He felt his heart ripping out of his chest. But when he looked higher, there was that name. Sasuke Uchiha.
"I lost."
But when he looked around, he found others staring at him. It made him sweat. Why?

"He's Naruto?"
*Gasps*
"He ranked second!?"
"Shikamaru is behind him!?"
"But he's a commoner..."
Naruto felt himself being out of breath. He stumbled. He pushed the crowd around him and made a run. He knew it was dramatic but he had the right to escape. He was afraid. Afraid to meet the cold gaze of Kakashi Hatake.

Naruto locked himself in his own room. His parents were constantly calling him, they were firstly curious about his results but maybe now they were just simply worried.
"I'm being overdramatic. I did well."
Naruto spoke to himself.
"At least I won't lose my scholarship."
Naruto felt anxious. Nothing could make him normal, his nerves were being wrecked.
"But...I lost to him."

A sudden knock on the door snapped him out of his thoughts. He knows who it could be. He couldn't hide forever. He got on his feet and walked to the door which was closed from inside. As he opened the door, he saw a man standing tall. Their gaze met. Those cold eyes looking down on him.
"Sensei..."
Kakashi didn't wait for Naruto to invite him in. He slipped inside the room.

Before Naruto could speak, Kakashi opened up. "You did well." Naruto gasped. He was waiting for him to insult him. Kakashi seemed sincere. "I'm proud of you. You did well on your own."
"But without your help..."
Kakashi cut him off.
"Don't talk when I'm talking."
Naruto nodded.

"Sasuke indeed is a prodigy but unlike you, he has people around him to help him who are geniuses, trust me. I couldn't give my all to you. If I did, you would have done even better. I'm partly responsible." Naruto gulped feeling the stone pressed on his chest being lifted. Kakashi sighed. He spoke,"I realized, Sasuke can't be defeated... academically." Naruto gritted his teeth. It was a bitter truth, hard to swallow but deep down he knew it.

"But there's another way." As he spoke, Naruto's ears perked up. Naruto understood what was about to happen. "Stand for the position of the treasurer of the council." Naruto's eyes widen. "If you don't, I'll make sure that you'll lose your scholarship."
"Are you threatening me?" Naruto spoke with his narrowed eyes.
"I have no other way."
Kakashi stared at Naruto for a few seconds before speaking again.
"Only you can do it."