CH 9.2 Blades and Ritual Satisfaction

Start from the beginning

Death is better than gang rape. Slit throat isn't a bad death, either. Rile will hold me until the end. Not dying alone in an alley and not dying by Morgan's torture. Yep, not too bad of a death.

          Rile was watching her intently, his hide paling in fear at the sight of Alex's steely resolve. "Alex," he said urgently, "I know what you're thinking. Please don't do anything stupid."

          "It won't be stupid," Alex replied with tranquility.

Dying instead of being raped isn't stupid. It's supremely logical.

          Rile's voice quavered as he pled with Alex. "Please, don't do this."

          Sorey laughed. "Good. Tell your whore to cooperate."

          "Alex is a Guardian!" Rile shouted. "Why she risks her life for your worthless hides is a mystery to me!"

          One lieutenant stepped forward and silenced Rile with an icy glare before asking. "Control yourself. Where is your Clan Head?"

          Rile took a deep breath before he replied, "Gabe will give you the same answer."

          Gabe rushed towards them and inserted himself into their circle. "I don't know what's going on, but I'm certain my brother is right."

          Sorey's jet-black eyes flashed with anger as he glared up at Gabe, his fists clenched. "I'm calling on ancient law and I'm claiming ritual satisfaction for Tida," he declared, a sneer darkening his voice.

          "This is a nasty part of your culture you never mentioned," Alex complained to Gabe.

          Gabe drew himself up, his hide gleamed gold, and he looked down on the shorter Sorey. "Our clan never held to this. It is ancient and barbaric and all clans have renounced it."

          Sorey shifted uncomfortably from foot to foot, his claws tapping nervously against his wide leather belt. His lieutenants muttered and shifted uneasily while the elders scowled and whispered among themselves.

Finally, Sorey spoke again, his voice edged with determination. "Not all clans have renounced it, Clan Head. Will you submit this female to the law?"

          Alex tensed for a spring upward, knife inside slipstream be damned. Apparently, neither Rile nor Gabe's life was in danger and she was facing much worse than death.

          "Alex is a Guardian," Gabe hiss-growled, his voice far more menacing than Rile's shouts. "You are never to speak of her in such a way again."

          "So, boy, you've had sex with her, too," Sorey sneered.

          "I have not," Gabe snapped, standing up straight and regal. "I am a Clan Head and you will address me as such."

          "Well, 'Clan Head', either submit your clan member to the law or renounce Clan Headship."

          Alex felt badly for Gabe, but not that badly. She debated a general burst versus an upward flight. A general burst would be better because her throat had less chance of being cut and she would blast Sorey and a few of his lieutenants.

Rile looks pretty upset at the prospect of my death. Gabe will probably be annoyed, too.

          "Alex, don't do anything stupid," Gabe pleaded, his voice strained with worry.

         Alex rolled her eyes and threw her hands up in frustration at Gabe, mimicking Rile.

Am I that transparent?