CH 5.1 Useful Creature

Gabe had saved the heaviest fighting for him, his brothers, and Alex. The brothers wielded their swords with skill, slicing and stabbing the black, slobbering monstrosities while Alex blasted them. But when the sparks flickered and died, Alex dove forward, grasping her sword with a two-handed grip and thrusting it deep into a monster's hide.

"Alex!" Gabe yelled in alarm as another monster leapt toward her.

Without missing a beat, she spun around and unsuccessfully tried to slice through its oily black surface with a one-handed swing. The creature snapped at her throat, but before it could get close enough, she pushed forward and used both hands to thrust her sword through its body. As it vanished, she breathed a sigh of relief, then coughed as the stench of the beasts filled her lungs.

Gabe shouted, "Fly the wounded east! You should see the healing tents."

Alex bit back a protest because others were near enough to hear and she wouldn't undermine Gabe. Her irritation at being pulled from battle evaporated when she saw the number of injured soldiers scattered on the ground. She clamped her jaw shut and pulsed out a speed-burst to carry herself into the carnage. She resumed battering herself with as many speed-bursts as she could wrench from her system to carry the injured to the healers' tents.

***

The sun was just a sliver of orange on the horizon when the last of the monsters were dispatched and no further portals opened. Alex, Rile, and Cale made it back to their camp. Rile sat next to Alex on a log and began massaging her tired neck. Cale pulled out his whetstone and carefully sharpened his sword with rhythmic strokes. Gabe and Gaza walked toward them, talking with their heads together.

"We need your help, Alex," Gabe said. "Clan Head Gaza and I need to get to the temporary camp—the generals insist on walking the grounds themselves before sunrise. Can you fly us?"

Alex stood and brushed off her clothes. "It might take its toll, but I can always fly, no matter what my health." She held out her hands to them. "Ready?"

She was too tired to speed, so Gaza was spared a neck-snapping take off.

After they landed, Gabe placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. "You're exhausted and need to rest. Please return to our tent," he suggested gently.

Alex nodded and turned to go.

"Certainly a useful creature." Gaza nodded at Alex.

Alex's shoulders tensed with the insult disguised as a compliment, but she didn't bother to turn around.

"Her name is Alex, and she is a valuable member of my clan," Gabe replied mildly.

"Your clan? Son, we shall talk about clans in the morning." Gaza said in the familiar way that upset Alex.

Alex walked on, dread knotting her stomach.

***

Just beyond the horizon, hues of orange and pink painted the sky with morning light. Cale slowly stepped out of the tent he shared with Alex and Rile to get a better view of what was causing the otherwise peaceful camp to stir in unrest. He could hear whispers coming from all directions as he looked around in confusion. Alex lay peacefully on her bedroll, in her usual 'dead to the world' state. Rile watched Cale's every move, but refused to move away from Alex, holding onto her warmth. Gabe had not returned night, most likely staying with Clan Head Gaza for their usual late-night strategy talks.

Cale paced inside the tent, his jaw clenched in frustration as he rubbed his temples. "I'm telling you, this doesn't look good," he muttered to Rile. "Where is Gabe? It's already light outside. Is Alex still asleep?"