Chapter 1

The car skidded. I heard other horns beeping, then a loud pop. It was all a big blur. The last thing I saw before I closed my eyes was my windshield crack, then spider out to be blown towards me.

•••

I woke up in a plain white sheeted bed. I looked around. The hospital. There were flowers all over the little table next to me. One of the nurses was just walking in, surprised to find me awake. Her hand rushed to her mouth, then ran out of the room. She came back a few seconds later with a doctor. I licked my dry lips and strained my voice to ask for a glass of water. He smiled. "Of course." He told me. He grabbed the glass that was hidden behind one of the flower vases. I took a couple sips and handed it back to him. He examined my eyes and ears then sat in silence for a moment. Finally he asked, "Do you remember what happened?"

I closed my eyes, wishing that I didn't, but I did. I remembered everything. I remembered swerving to avoid hitting that deer. I remembered loosing control of my car because of the snowy weather. I remembered seeing a familiar car coming at me. Then, nothing. I looked back up at my doctor. My voice was shaking. "Is she okay?" I asked. My doctor lowered his eyes. I knew the answer. My best friend was gone. It was all my fault.

•••

Everyone was dressed in black. I sat in the front row with a kerchief in my hand. I sat next to my mother, Heather. She put a hand on my leg and squeezed, showing her support and strength. On my other side was Adam. I looked at him and saw the tears running down his face. His girlfriend was gone. It was all my fault.

•••

I watched as they slowly lowered her into the ground. I stood there in my long black coat, watching. There was a quiet thud as the coffin hit the ground. My mother squeezed my hand. I walked toward the edge of Ally's grave, and smelled the yellow rose I was holding one last time. I blinked, more tears escaped my eyes. I gently tossed the flower into the hole to join the others. I slowly backed away and hugged my mom tightly. I opened my eyes and saw Mr. and Mrs. Thompson. Their daughter was gone. It was all my fault.

•••

I walked through the halls of the school. There were posters all over the wall "Rest in Paradise, Ally" "We miss you, Ally"

I passed them in a daze and walked into the cafeteria. I waited in line to get my food and sat down. My friend Gabby touched my should as she sat down and hugged me tight. She both started to cry then. When we had calmed down she pulled away and wiped the tears away. I looked into her long lashed, chocolate brown eyes and tried to smile. My lips trembled and fell back down. I looked at Andy, but he wouldn't meet my gaze. I looked down to my food and twirled my fork in the spaghetti. He blames me. I didn't blame me for blaming me. Gabby grabbed my wrist. I pulled away quickly, but I knew she felt it. The scabs. She grabbed me again and tugged to show my scabbed up wrist. She looked down ashamed in me. I knew she was ashamed but she doesn't understand. She doesn't know the pain of being at fault for the death of one of your best friends. Sometimes crying just isn't enough. I was done. I wanted to go home. I picked up my tray to go throw it away. When I looked up there was a glob of spaghetti coming down on top of me. It landed with a splat. I looked up to see Sarah burning holes back into my eyes. "It's all your fault." She said. With that, she walked away. People started to laugh. I looked at Gabby, then Adam. Gabby had a look of shock and worry on her face. Adam's face had remained the same. Mutual. I stood up and ran to the bathroom. I locked myself in a stall, pressed my back against the wall, and slid down crying.

"Aubrey?" It was Gabby's voice calling for me. I didn't have to say anything. She knew I was in here. She knocked on the stall door. "Aubrey, let me in."

I continued to cry.

"You leave me no choice then."

She got down on the floor and crawled on the dirty bathroom floor, under the stall door, and next to me. I broke down in her arms. She rubbed my back, held me while I cried, and attempted to calm me down like a mother does to her infant child. "Everything is going to he okay." She tried to assure me.

"Okay?" I asked. "How is anything going to be okay?! Nothing will ever be okay!" I choked back a sob. While Gabby looked down, her auburn hair falling in front of her face.

"Come on, lets get you cleaned up"

We walked out of the stall and attempted to wash the spaghetti out of my hair. When it was finally out we signed out at the office and walked to my house in silence.