Chapter 26

Chapter 26

     When Georgiana got on the carriage, she was so shocked and lost in thought that she didn't know where the carriage was going. Suddenly she got confused and ordered the coachman to stop the carriage right there.
When she got off, she decided to walk to think less about the events of that day, but this had the opposite effect. Georgiana was like someone who had fallen into a swamp, the more she tried to save herself, the more she sank into the swamp. Georgiana came to herself and saw herself in the middle of a ruin, of course she was not scared or surprised, nothing mattered to her at that moment. She sighed and went to clean a part of a board that was covered with dust and sat on it. It was a strange and weird place, but for Georgiana this didn't matter at all. In silence and darkness and the bad air that was in that ruin, Georgiana was deeply lost in thought. She used to want to know everything about her past. She had questions about her life, but now she was afraid of the answer to each one of them. Did Grandpa Alice call him father? No. She was afraid there was a terrible accident behind these stories, she was sure Mr. Ellington was her father. No, this was impossible, this was impossible. Georgiana was in these strange and of course upsetting thoughts when suddenly there was a rustling sound and Georgiana saw a shadow and it meant someone else was there too, that person was a woman. The woman slowly came forward. Georgiana saw her face for a moment but it wasn't very clear, anyway she didn't know her, but the strange woman sat next to Georgiana in such a way that part of her face was still in the shade.
   Anyway, the strange woman said: "I finally found you here, I didn't think I would find you here in this ruin. I was getting very disappointed." Then she laughed and said: "I thought you were lost, I mean we all thought so, but this doesn't matter at all; what matters is that I will keep my promise in a few days. Emily, it's a miracle that I see you. Emily, I'm really happy." Then she got up and left.
All this time Georgiana wanted to scream that I'm not Emily, but no sound came out of her throat.
     Georgiana left there more upset than before and decided to go home as soon as possible. When she got off the carriage in the yard, she saw that all her family along with a strange man were walking around the house, she also joined them, actually Georgiana was happy about this because maybe this way she could forget the strange and bitter events of that day for a few moments.
   Karen as soon as she saw Georgiana said: "Georgiana finally came back? You pay too much attention to Alice so that you don't notice the passage of time at all."
   Georgiana smiled and said: "Sorry, I didn't notice the passage of time at all."
   At this moment James came forward with that unknown man and said: "Raymond, they are Georgiana my lost sister who came back to us again and we went to London soon from the joy of this matter Georgiana, they are my close friend Mr. Raymond Wharton."
   Georgiana said: "I'm happy to meet you."
   Raymond, who had turned a little red, stared at Georgiana for a few moments, which seemed rude to Georgiana. Finally Raymond stuttered a very short and dry answer.
After a few moments of silence James turned to Raymond and said: "By the way why didn't you come to see us in the first days?"
Raymond came to himself a little and said: "Unfortunately some things happened that prevented us from seeing each other."
   After this event Georgiana talked warmly with her brother and sister and her sadness from the events of that day decreased and even seemed happy but she didn't like Mr. Wharton at first sight and he seemed rude to her.
Anyway Mrs. Ellington invited Raymond for lunch which Raymond immediately accepted with pleasure.
     When everyone sat around the table, Raymond was sitting right across from Georgiana, which of course didn't matter at all.
While eating, Mr. Wharton said: "Mr. Ellington, if you are willing, I want to introduce Mrs. Jane McKenzie to you." He coughed at that moment and looked at Georgiana, but saw no change in Georgiana's face and continued: "Excuse me; I want to introduce Mrs. Jane McKenzie to you. They need some financial help and support from you."
   Mr. Ellington smiled and said: "Since you introduce them, I want to meet them as soon as possible."
   Mrs. Ellington said: "How about we invite Mrs. McKenzie to the party next week here. Mr. Wharton, bring Mrs. McKenzie with you."
   Mr. Wharton said: "Thank you for your kindness, Mrs. Ellington, but I think Mrs. McKenzie would prefer to meet Mr. Baker, who is one of their acquaintances, privately; but I will inform Mrs. McKenzie of your kindness."
   Mrs. Ellington said: "Be sure to inform them of this matter, we will be happy to see them."
   Raymond made a small bow and a short silence prevailed over the space and Raymond no longer participated in any discussion, he had knitted his eyebrows and it was clear from his face that he was very angry and annoyed.
     Karen and Georgiana left the dining room and sat together in a corner to talk a little. A while later when the men entered the room; Mrs. Ellington called Karen to go to her. Raymond immediately took advantage of the opportunity and sat next to Georgiana. Then he whispered to Georgiana: "Emily, what are you doing here? I can't believe you introduced yourself to this family as Georgiana? Why did you do that? Emily, in all this time you were with the Ellington family without thinking about Alice? How do you know the Ellington family? Why did you do that?"
   Georgiana tried to calm her anger but was not very successful and almost said with the same anger: "Mr. Wharton, I assure you that I am Georgiana Ellington and until now I do not know anyone named Emily nor have I seen her but I am sure that I am not Emily."
   Raymond said: "But Emily, I don't believe it."
   Georgiana laughed nervously and said: "Don't call me Emily. It depends on your will whether you believe it or not, but you have no right to call me Emily again." Then she got up and went to her room with sadness.
That day was a very bad day for Georgiana. Who was this Emily? What was the connection between Georgiana's life and Emily's life? Georgiana felt that part of her life belonged to Emily but she didn't know why she thought so. That day, three people called Georgiana Emily. Georgiana knew Alice's mother's name was Emily; they thought Georgiana was Emily O'Connor! Georgiana now understood why Alice asked her if she was sure she was Mr. Ellington's daughter or not? This meant that Alice also thought so.