Chapter 9

Chapter 9

     The rain was still falling; when Karen's carriage entered the yard, it was past seven o'clock and the Ellington family and Dr. Gates – their family doctor – were sitting worried around the dinner table without touching it when they suddenly heard the maid scream and quickly made their way to the entrance door and saw that Karen had ignored the maid who had fallen on the ground and had hugged a strange woman whose face was bloody and was taking her to the guest room bed. She laid her on the bed.
The doctor first ran to the maid and then with the help of some of the servants splashed some water on her face to wake her up and then handed her over to the servants and ran to the guest room; Anyway, Karen changed her clothes and sat by the fireplace while staring at the flames of the fire.
    Her mother brought her a blanket to wrap around herself and then sat next to her and said: "You got wet; cover yourself well and drink this warm milk. I was very worried about you." After a moment of silence, she said again: "Who is that lady?"
   Karen sipped the warm milk and still looked at the flames of the fire and said: "I don't know her. It was quiet everywhere in the street when I suddenly saw her. She caught my attention. I don't know why; how is she?"
   Mrs. Ellington said: "I don't know; the doctor is still there."
   At that moment, the doctor returned to the downstairs and said to Mr. Ellington: "It seems that she has hit her head and fainted. I bandaged her face wounds and we have to wait for her to wake up about her fainting."
Karen and Mrs. Ellington heard his words. Karen turned to the doctor and said: "Doctor, I beg you to stay here until that woman wakes up."
   "If you want me to, I have to write a letter to one of my friends and let him know. By the way, how are you feeling?"
   "I'm fine, I didn't get very wet. Is that woman okay? Is she sick?"
   "Fortunately not."