Chapter 1

"The Mystery of O'Connor Death"

Chapter 1

It was late March, behind a large and magnificent house, a group of people had gathered to attend the funeral of Mrs. Emily O'Connor. They were slowly lowering the coffin and people were throwing a branch of flowers on it. The priest was praying for the deceased.

Mrs. Charlotte Buchanan, who was a friend of the deceased's family, whispered to her younger sister Elizabeth, who was standing next to her: "I can't believe Emily, who was such a happy and smiling person. How did she suddenly die in the mental hospital and there? Mr. O'Connor - the deceased's husband - also died this week. It's really terrible."

At that moment, a carriage had stopped in front of the house, where a man and a woman were talking.

Mrs. Jane McKenzie - the half-sister of Mr. John O'Connor- said: "Why did you bring me here?"

A man named Tom Baker said: "To enjoy it."

"But this way I feel more hatred while I should be happy because I took my revenge."

"No. You haven't taken your revenge yet. There is still one person left."

"Alice? She is a child."

"Yes."

"But Alice is only eight years old."

"You were only fourteen when that happened to you."

"we have to go home and wait a week to rest and let her suffer a little."

"But you live in Plymouth, which is far from here. Something might happen in this time."

"In this time, George - the carriage driver - is watching them and will tell us if anything happens."

The weather was extremely cold and Wharton. Now the snowfall had subsided and the snowflakes were gently dancing in the air. When the funeral was over and everyone left, Alice stood near the graves of her parents who were next to each other, staring at them. Alice's orphanhood seemed undeniable. Mrs. Isabella Wharton, who was one of Mrs. O'Connor's close friends, stood behind Alice and put her hands on Alice's shoulders, bent down and kissed her cheek from behind and kindly said: "My dear, I invite you to my house for tea. Jessica and Sara really want to play with you. Will you come with me to my house?"

Alice turned to Isabella and said: "No. Thank you very much for your invitation, but I prefer to stay at home."

Isabella looked at Alice and involuntarily remembered Emily. That's why she said after a few moments of silence: "Then I'll bring the kids here because they miss you. Is that okay?"

Alice said impatiently: "No." And went inside the house. Isabella said to Smith, one of the servants who was standing nearby: "Go tell the coachman to hurry up and bring Jessica and Sara here." Then she went to the library room which was on the upper floor of the house.

After the end of the funeral, Charlotte and Elizabeth continued their discussion in the carriage. Charlotte said: "I'm very sorry for Alice. Alice is only seven or eight years old and has lost her parents in a terrible way in a week and has become an orphan. She is very lonely. She only has a step-aunt and an aunt and has not heard from either of them for years. By the way, do you have any news from Jane?"

Elizabeth whispered softly so that no one could hear her: "Alice is never alone. I have to go somewhere."

Charlotte, who saw her sister mumbling something under her breath, asked: "What happened?"

"Nothing. Nothing. I wanted to say that since she had a fight with her brother about something and left that house, I have not heard from her."

"Jane was a strange and lonely person."