Chapter 8

Chapter 8

    When Mrs. Wharton and Elizabeth were talking privately in a room, a maid knocked and entered and said, "Mrs. Wharton, excuse me, the food is ready, please come." Mrs. Wharton, who was trying to hide her agitation, said, "We'll be right there."
   In the dining room when everyone sat down after saying grace, the maid picked up the soup bowl and poured some soup into each of the guests' bowls as an appetizer. When it was time to serve the main course and the maid offered Alice, she noticed that she had eaten more than a few spoonfuls of soup and was playing with her food more than anything else, so she said, "Miss Alice, why don't you eat?"
   Mrs. Wharton's attention was drawn to Alice. Mrs. Wharton said, "Alice, even if you don't feel like it, try to eat a few more spoonfuls."
Alice got up from her seat and said, "I can't eat anything. If you'll excuse me, I'll go to my room." Then she left.
   At that moment Mrs. Wharton gave Elizabeth a meaningful look until Elizabeth sighed and got up and said, "I'll go talk to Alice now."
   When Alice wanted to go up the stairs suddenly Elizabeth put her hands on her arms which scared her. Alice looked at Elizabeth with fear.
   Elizabeth said, "Don't be afraid dear; can we talk for a few minutes?"
     They went to Alice's bedroom together. Alice sat on the bed, with her back to the door, and hugged one of her dolls tightly to feel some calm. Alice's room was big. A few candles lit the room with a suitable light. In a corner of the room, a fire was burning in the stove; and it was very warm and cozy there.
   Elizabeth went to her and caressed her beautiful brown hair and said: "Alice, your mother is alive; maybe you don't see her, but she is everywhere and always watching over you; I understand your sadness, I also lost my mother when I was a child; but you shouldn't hurt yourself so much because your mother sees you and gets upset."
   Alice cried and said: "But she is dead?"
   Elizabeth said: "Anyone who is dear to you is always alive in your heart; just like my mother is alive." Then she hugged her and gave her a letter.
   Alice started reading the letter with surprise. The letter was written in a familiar handwriting and had good news. She read the short letter several times and then wanted to say something, but saw Elizabeth gesturing for her to be quiet. Then she took the letter and hid it.
   At that moment, Sophie entered with a tray of food and put it on the table and left.
     Sophie was a dry and formal maid who clearly showed it by her way of walking, working, and even her face. Alice never liked Sophie, she had never seen Sophie laugh or even smile; this made her a little afraid of her and now Sophie's untimely entrance was a reason for Alice to dislike her more.
   Elizabeth put the tray of food on the bed and sat next to Alice and said loudly: "You are not happy as usual and I understand, but why are you so scared? How many times a day do you cry alone in your room? Is it all because of your mother?"
   Alice sobbed and said: "I'm scared of this place; I'm very scared; I'm very lonely."
   Elizabeth wanted to hug her, but Alice pulled back in horror, so that Elizabeth felt sorry for her; and she hugged her and said softly in Alice's ear: "Alice, believe me, I promise you that it all had reality. I promise you." Then she said loudly: "Why are you scared?"