Chapter 14

Chapter 14

    The weather was very good for traveling. When Isabella, the children, and Alice, the tutor, wanted to get on the carriage.
   Isabella took Raymond to a corner before getting on and said to him: "So you are supposedly the buyer of this house?"
   Raymond said: "Yes, after Alice returns, I will gladly give this house back to her. Please trust me. I hope you have a good trip."
   Isabella said: "Is everything going well?"
   "Trust me."
Finally, the carriage started moving and until it disappeared in the bend, Raymond followed them with his eyes and waved to them. When Raymond was sure they had left, he went inside the house, sighed and said to himself: "I'm not sure anymore if what we're doing is right or not." Then he sat down at a table disappointedly and said to the waiter: "Has there been any news yet?"
   The waiter said: "Not yet."
   Raymond put his head between his hands and said with sadness: "God, what should I do?"
    At that moment, Mrs. McKenzie entered the house while calling Alice constantly with Tom. Jane was surprised as soon as she saw Raymond and Tom thought he had met that person before until Jane finally said: "Who are you? What are you doing here?"
The waiter wanted to get them out when Raymond stood up and leaned forward slightly with his hands on the table and said: "I'm Jack Porter, the new owner of this house and I haven't had the honor of meeting you yet. Has anything happened? Can I help you?"
Then he took them to the living room so that the servants could serve them. Raymond told the servant to bring him a cup of hot tea. When he wanted to drink the hot tea, he looked around and said: "This is really a beautiful property."
   Mrs. McKenzie, who had been shocked and silent until then, finally spoke up and said: "You are the new owner of this house? This is impossible. This house belongs to my nephew. You can't have bought this house."
   Raymond after taking a sip of tea said: "But I bought this house with all its belongings from him before Mr. O'Connor died."
   Mrs. McKenzie said: "But this is impossible." And cut off her speech changed the subject and said: "Where is Alice now?"
   "I have no information about that."
   "I'm Jane McKenzie. Sorry I didn't introduce myself from the beginning. I'm staying in this city now. Please let me know if you get any information about my nephew during this time."
   Raymond said: "So you are Mr. O'Connor's half-sister?"
After Mrs. McKenzie and Tom left, Raymond got up and went to the window to see them getting on the carriage with his own eyes. He pulled back the curtain and said softly: "Everything is going well almost."
At that moment someone knocked on the door. Raymond turned to the door. It was Smith. He gave Raymond a piece of paper while saying: "Mrs. Buchanan gave me this paper to give it to you. Their carriage just left."
   Raymond took the paper and said: "What news do you have from those two?"
   "Those two are now tied up in Mrs. Wharton's country house."
   Raymond said: "Isabella?!"
   "Mrs. Wharton bought this house for this purpose and after this time they are selling it. None of the neighbors have ever seen Mrs. Wharton, there will be no problem, do not worry."
   "So take care of them for three days and treat them well."
   After a few minutes when Raymond was left alone, he read that piece of paper: I heard everything from your postcard, I think I know where he is. I'm going there too because I can't wait for time to pass like this.