Chapter 23

Theodore stared at his troubled brother, he knew his brother was troubled- his brother wouldn't be here trying to get drunk on his wedding night. Even Hermit that was the odd one had locked himself in his chamber until the next day when he shocked people by bringing his wife to the family breakfast, still alive and doing well.

"she troubles you so?" Theodore voiced.
"so much so." Venus answered refusing to look at Theodore. It would have been easier for Venus to relate his problems to Hermit but now that it's just the two of them, they had to learn how to tell each other what bothers them. "what is Imogen to you?" Venus asked, this time, his eyes stare into Theodore's eyes.

"she worked for all that she have now, to get this power. She is out for vengeance, she loves power, yes but she's not bad and doesn't deserve your wrath." Theodore answered.

"it still doesn't answer my question Theodore. I wish to rain my wrath upon her anyway. She is not Kailyn."

"she's not Kailyn cause she's your wife for God sake, she'll be here for you through every trouble but where is Kailyn?"

"Kaylin isn't here because she didn't have the opportunity Imogen has." Venus cuts in angrily.

"then you have no idea who and what Imogen has been through." Theodore was angry too. He knew what Imogen has been through too. "she is your wife and Imogen is a very loyal lady. Who do need as your wife, a loyal lady with lots of guts or a lady that'll cling to you?" Theodore asked.

Venus knew the truth but he doesn't want to accept it.
"she doesn't seem like she has lots of guts when I was about to leave my chamber."

"you are cruel if you don't know." Theodore knows for a fact that Imogen won't lose all her confidence and wouldn't act helpless if she wasn't forced to do so.

"she have waited this long for this, you know. She watched Marius rape and kill her sister then ordered his soldiers to kill Imogen. Imogen escaped and ran into my hands that night. I helped her while she helped me with the things I needed outside the palace. I knew I did badly for suggesting her to you having another motive but, she needed help. And I knew she wouldn't demand your affection. She wasn't a lady that aches for love. She aches for vengeance." Theodore narrated.

Truly, she hadn't ask for his love or affection, she had only asked for his respect. This way, she will have the respect she deserves from his people.
"you should have told me."

"I didn't want you to start confronting her with her hurtful past the moment you walked into your chamber. She'll hate me for that. But she's beautiful and she's your wife."

True, she's beautiful and she's his wife but he must avoid her.

"she was an orphan adopted into the Cullum's family, but they had treated her badly except for the only daughter Cullum has. But Marius had raped and killed the only person that treated her well. Then I had to make sure, threaten even, the Cullum family to take her back and treat her well." Theodore looked sad recalling the memory. "she had no choice. Do you now understand what she have been through and what made her this way."

"this was something you should have told me." Venus grunted before standing up and left Theodore's room.

_______________

Venus walked into his chamber to find the bed empty, if the bed was empty, does it mean she's asleep in one of the corners of the room or does it mean she tried not to sleep.
He walked to the bathtub when he noticed a figure inside, there he saw Imogen soaking in the bathtub, the water was chilly cold and her eyes seem closed as though she was asleep but was she?