chapter 13

Kailyn sneaked into one of the princes' chamber after making sure there was no one following her.
It was two days after Lady Grace's death and not seeing him irked her, she wanted to know if he's fine, if he needs some comfort.

''Kailyn?'' he called in surprise. ''why are you here?''

''I wanted to know if you are fine. We haven't seen since the last time in the garden.'' Her eyes held worry and over the three years she has been having an affair with him this is the first time she felt this worried for him and this is the first time he is seeing such worry in her eyes.

He took long strides towards her and she expected him to hug her alas he walked pass her and locked the door then turn back to stare at her, his eyes swept over her profile once then twice.

He has been feeling on edge since their father shared divisions and seeing her take the risk to come check on him did a lot to calm him.
His hand slides around her waist, pulling her too him. ''you must be careful Kailyn. What if someone saw you coming here? I can't risk losing you. Please.'' With her, the plea always leaves his lips easily.

He has been watching over her since she was fifteen and while she had stunned him then, he knew he couldn't stay away from her as time goes by.

Her big blue eyes always mesmerized him, her brown hair always kept in a tight bun and he always loved the feeling of his hand running through it. Its texture; soft.
Her lips not too full and wouldn't fear telling him the truth as it pleases her.
She's always daring and it was one of the things that attracted him to her and it hurts to know they barely have a future together.

They were in a judgmental world and loving a maid is uncalled for. Although their father had mistresses but they were all daughters of nobles, some were not even from their region so it showed how much the royals love their reputation.

Hermit is an exception marrying Fay but even at that, he wasn't an exception because his four brides were all daughters of nobles. One wasn't even of their region. Marrying Fay at that moment was a pardon for him and no prince will sum up the courage to tell their father straight at it that he wants to marry a maid. Only God knows how their father will react to that.

About Kailyn, he couldn't find it in him to tell anyone as he is afraid one of his brothers will hurt her or scare her and tell her to leave because they want to save him.
Now she's nothing but a secret he's hiding dearly. A secret he could die for.

She must have been telling him something but he wasn't listening to her and he could see her lashes flutter several times before she lets out a small sound of disapproval.
This is one of the reasons he couldn't marry, it's hard to marry another lady and chat with her without comparing her to Kailyn. He couldn't. To him, Kailyn is incomparable.

''sorry. I was distracted for a moment. You distract me.'' He whispered in her ear and he heard her light giggle.

''I missed you.'' Her hand clutched his jacket and he smiled. Her voice held a small hurt and that hurt made his smile to fade away.

''did someone hurt you Kailyn?'' he queried, hugging her tightly.

''no.'' her voice was muffled as she hides her face in his chest. ''I only missed you.''

''I missed you more.''

She pulled away from the hug to stare into his eyes then she gasped suddenly.
''a night before Lady Grace's death. While I waited for you behind the brush in the garden, I heard Prince Adam say few things with someone and he exchanged something I can't really tell. It was dark but I heard him say 'it won't be bad if she dies from her home's poison.' Well I couldn't confront him so I just hid better.'' Truth was, Kailyn was so scared she could hear her frantic heart beat as it beats too fast that it began to hurt. It seems waiting for her lover that night did make her hear something very essential.