Chapter sixty-two

Start from the beginning

"Okay, we'll go on mute." I say, putting us on mute and putting my emergency phone in my purse.

Natty then hands me one of her AirPods where she is playing our favorite kids bopz songs on her emergency phone. We grab each other's hand, like the buddy system states we do, and start walking down the busted up sidewalk to the local bus stop.

————————

"So why are we doing this again?" Natty asks, as we sit on the bus station bench swinging our feet.

"Because I told you I want to do something for my Daddy since we haven't been on a date in awhile and since we wasn't able to spend Dia de los Muertos together to celebrate his mommy." I answer, looking at her phone while she plays games. "Plus didn't you say you also need to get Auntie and uncle something for their anniversary today?"

"Yeah, I guess." she answers, shrugging. "Anyway what's the Dia Muertos day?" she asks, looking up from her phone when she died.

"My abuela says it's a day to celebrate the dead." I answer, starting to play the game.

"Oh."

"Yeah, I missed the dates when you're supposed to celebrate it since I was in Australia."

"Why couldn't you celebrate it in Australia?"

"Because I forgot how to, but it's okay because it makes more sense to celebrate it now since it's his mommy death birthday."

"So what are you going to do?" she asks. "Oh here's our bus!" she says, hopping off the bench and me doing the same.

We take each other hands and follow the other adults onto the bus. Walking on in between the adults we make our way to the back to sit down.

"I'm going to buy him a new outfit and I made reservations at his favorite type of food place." I answer, as we take our seats.

"Which is?" she asks, changing the song.

"He really likes Greek and French food. So I asked Siri what restaurants have that type of food and she showed me this fancy place. Here I'll show you." I answer, taking my phone out my purse to still see uncle Jason is still on the phone.

"See." I show her.

"Hey, that's where all the rich people eat at in the expensive part of Chicago."

"Yeah, I know."

"How did you make reservations?"

"I did it online. They ended up having a last minute opening and they emailed me back saying I can have it so I took it."

"That's cool."

"Yeah so what are you getting auntie and uncle?" I ask kicking my feet and putting my phone back in my bag.

"I'm probably going to get daddy a watch and mommy a dress or some shoes." she answers, shrugging.

The bus soon drops us off at the closes stop they can get us to so we can be in the 'Upscale side of the Illinois'.

We get off to have the cold winter air to hit us as we make our way down the sidewalk again holding hands.

"Awe, look at you two cute little girls." a random white lady says.

"Move we have pepper spray." Natty says, pulling her pepper stray from out her coat pocket with her free hand.

"And I have a taser." I add, pulling it out of my coat pocket.

"You're holding it wrong Story." Natty whispers to me.

Quickly turning it around to point it at her.