Chapter three

Ivy was sat next to Jeremiah, with Conrad at the end of the table beside her. They were holding hands under the table. She had an odd sense of anxiety for some reason. She got them randomly all the time. She felt comfort in Conrad, even just holding his hand.

Everyone was enjoying themselves, eating the delicious food. Steven and Jeremiah were looking at something on Stevens phone, laughing.

"Steven, I swear to God, if you look at that phone one more time I'm putting it in the screen basket." Laurel threatened.

"it's just we wanna see your beautiful faces, can dinner be a screen-free zone, you know like the olden days." Susannah spoke in a calmer tone.

Suddenly, Jeremiah took Steven's phone out of his hand and threw it across the room onto a chair.

"Boom!"

"Dude are you kidding me?"

Ivy laughed along with everyone else, loving the relationship everyone had with each other.

"Okay okay we get it, you've been working out."

"You're just jealous because Jere has a better body than you." Belly spoke with a slightly condescending tone.

"Uh no. Actually it's all about the lean look now. Other wise you can't wear tailored suits."

Everyone laughed at the statement.

"Tailored suits." Conrad spoke, as he played with his glass. Ivy squeezed his hand under the table. He looked over and gave her a big smile.

"When are you leaving for training camp man?" Steven asked, not knowing about the change of plans.

"Uh he quit football." Jeremiah explained.

The entire table went silent. Ivy rubbed her thumb along Conrad's knuckles.

"Wait really you quit?"

"mmhmm."

"Are you kidding me man? I'd - i'd kill to play college ball."

"He can always change his mind" Susannah cut in.

"I'm not gonna change my mind." Conrad answered. "I was just gonna sit on the bench all season anyways."

"we'll if you're not playing football anymore, what are you gonna do all summer?" Laurel asked.

"I don't know, I mean Ivy's here. I'll probably spend most of my time with her." He looked at her with an uncomfortable look on his face. Ivy knew he didn't want to talk about it anymore.

"Oh dude you can work at the club. Yeah, with me and Jere."

"I'm not gonna work at the club." Conrad had a fake smiled placed on his face.

"Wait you guys are working this summer?" Isabel asked with a confused face.

"Yeah, I'm lifeguarding and Steven's working at the snack shop." Jere responded. They fist bumped and Jere clicked his tongue.

"Oh Girls, I almost forgot. I have a surprise for you." Susannah said with an excited tone.

She passed both girls an envelope. Ivy gave a confused face to Conrad who just shrugged in response. She removed her hand from Conrad's and opened the letter.

"So this is why you had to stop by the country club." Laurel said.

"What, uh what is that?" Steven asked.

"I wrangled the girls an opportunity to be debutantes!"

"Is that the thing where the girls wear white dresses and curtsy?" Belly asked. Ivy had mixed feelings about all of this.