CH 6.2 Hateful Old Reptile

Start from the beginning

Rake moved around Alex, his blade held in a high guard position. His eyes focused and intense as he spoke. "I may not understand all of your words, but I will show you a worst day of your life."

Alex laughed. "You? Never."

Rile stepped forward, anger flashing across his face like a storm cloud. "Act like a Sword Master!" he roared.

Gabe whirled on him, his expression unreadable.

Cale stepped between them, his usual role of mediator. He glanced at Rake before speaking. "Rile, do you really want to provoke him past his limits when he's fighting with steel instead of wood?"

"He shouldn't be using steel at all!" Rile shouted, and Cale grabbed his arm, holding him back.

Gabe's voice was eerily calm. "Rake knows what he's doing. He has enough control that he wouldn't hurt her. Do not push him further than he can handle."

Quick as a snake, in a move reminiscent of Cla, Rake lunged. Alex reacted, her own blade blocking Rake's as sparks flew from the point of contact. The force of the blow pushed Alex onto her back foot as Rake advanced, stabbing at her shoulder with the flat of his blade. She stumbled to one knee, her sword skittering away across the ground, and felt cold steel resting against her throat.

"You are not worthy to be my student, female. Or to be a Guardian." Rake sneered.

Alex looked up defiantly, meeting his eyes. Her words came out strong and without wavering despite the fear inside her. "What? You think you're worthy to judge me because you beat me with a sword? I was beaten to the brink of death by a sadistic rapist and he wasn't worthy to judge me, either. I still say, you want respect, earn it. Beating a novice at your own game doesn't qualify. The Portal Guardian made me a Guardian, not you. Again, you have a problem with my job description: take it up with the Portal Guardian. The female Portal Guardian."

Rake looked stunned, and the tip of his blade wavered from her throat. Alex stood up and brushed sand from her clothes. Rile looked angry enough to satisfy her while Cale looked distressed, but Gabe's expression was closed to her.

"Gabe, will you please find me another instructor? Mr. Perfect here says I'm not worthy. I think he's the one with worth issues."

Rake clenched his jaw, and Alex could see he was trying to contain an inner struggle before finally saying, "I will instruct you.".

"Don't do me any favors," Alex shot back.

Rake sheathed his sword. "You're right: I shouldn't judge you...yet. If you're brave enough and strong enough to accept my teaching, then I will instruct you."

"Sounds like a truce," Alex said.

"Now we will switch to wooden practice swords."

Alex was a little irked to go straight to a lesson, but kept it to herself. She was breathing just as hard after the lesson as after her match with Rake. The wooden swords clacked together as they began a fresh bout. By the end, at least Gabe, Rile, and Cale looked tired too. Rake had been more respectful to the brothers, had but still pushed them hard.

****

That night, Alex stretched out in their tent with a groan. "I'll be soooo sore tomorrow," she complained. "Where did you dig up a hateful old reptile like Rake?"

"He's the best Sword Master around," Gabe said.

"Yippee for him," Alex said sarcastically, rolling onto her side to look at him.

"He can teach you much. You must compensate for your new vulnerability. You said I should find a way to use you as a soldier and here it is," Gabe said in a smug manner.

"Hmm, I'll get even with you one day, Clan Head." Alex closing her eyes.

Rile cradled her in his arms, and she breathed in his spicy, leathery scent. He gently brushed a lock of hair away from her face and murmured, "Don't worry, you did great. No one has ever talked to Rake like that."

"That's part of his problem. Where's Cale?"

"Making rounds with the healer in the infirmary. He said to not wait for him."

She nodded, relieved. As Rile continued to stroke her hair, Alex felt her body relax as exhaustion finally caught up with her. Within seconds, she was fast asleep.

***

A/N

What do you think of Gabe's trick up his sleeve?