Chapter 34: Lilies on his Head

I would rather miss you than have nothing to miss you for.

Reece came over that evening. Apparently, I had started convulsing during the video call, and he had seen it all.

It was a great way to guilt-trip him.

"You shouldn't be here," I told him sincerely. I meant it, I really did. Despite the fact that I really wanted revenge, I also wanted him to live longer.

And honestly, by that time, I was over the past. I had had over a year to forget about the fact that Reece had cheated on me, and after finding out that Reece was dying, it didn't seem like a big deal.

I was a different person back then. I didn't want him to hold that over me.

It was only fair that I didn't hold any of that over him either.

"I know. But I just couldn't stop myself after seeing you have a seizure. And honestly, I really want to be here with you,"

I really want you to be here too. I resisted saying that.

"Thanks a lot for coming," I spoke honestly and opened my arms.

Tears made their way down my cheeks and he instantly pulled me into an embrace. And truthfully, I really needed that hug. "You'll be fine," he spoke soothingly, rubbing my back.

He himself looked shaken as he hugged me. "I love you. I love you, Reece."

"I love you too," he said, kissing my cheek. "And I am so sorry for all those secrets."

"I already knew about Ian. I found out a while after we broke up."

He nodded slowly before pulling me into another embrace. "Forgive me, please?"

I nodded into his shirt before pulling back again. "No more secrets?"

"No more lies?" I smiled at him softly.

"Yeah. But now, you have totell me about your heart condition."

"I had a surgery done a few years ago after I was diagnosed with Ischemic heart disease. They told me the surgery could help with my condition, but it couldn't cure it."

"Does that mean...?" I asked, already knowing what it meant.

"Yes,"

"How long?"

"A few months now." Fresh tears made their way down my cheeks. I snuggled in his neck as all my barriers broke down one by one.

All I had done was scheme, and frame, and play, not knowing that I was trying to kill a skeleton. I was trying to fight someone who was using his broken bones as a sword and drinking his own blood to survive.

Like an ouroboros, but he wasn't immortal.

He was going to die.

And I didn't know what to say.

I wanted to beg him to not leave me, I wanted to get on my knees and plead with him to not go, but I knew that would only hurt him more. Why hurt someone whose flesh was already ripped, whose heart was already bleeding?

Who already had daisies on his head.

"Let's make the most of it. Let's make these few months memorable," I said, managing a smile.

He looked at me for a split second with gratitude and more love than I could take, before snaking an arm around my waist and kissing me deeply.

"We will, as soon as you get better!"