Chapter Twenty-Nine: Prosecco And Tequila

I wasn't cursed by Maleficent, it was you, you, you, baby...

Your kiss didn't break the spell, it put, put, put, me under it.

And just like that, we were in sophomore year.

Sophomore year wasn't much different from freshman year. The atmosphere felt more mature, the weather colder and maybe everything seemed a little darker, but apart from that, everything was the same.

There wasn't much difference in the stress level either.

Well, academically, at least.

My 'The End' exhibition was in two months, and I was not prepared. I had half a dozen paintings left and I was in no mood to paint depressing stuff.

I would have to deliberately be alone, feel loneliness, drive my own self crazy out of self-pity and depression, play the worst moments of my life on repeat in my head, and all just to paint a picture.

And sometimes, even that did not work.

But the stress finally cracked me enough for me to paint sometimes, but I was just so...cheerful. My mood depended more on Reece than I'd like to admit, cause when he wasn't insulting me and was being nice, I was magically happy.

"You want to come over? Mom made Mexican cuisine for dinner." Corey asked me as we made our way to the last period. "Reece is coming."

I stared at him for a solid minute before replying, "Sure,"

Corey and I had gotten close over the past few months. We hung out a lot together, but going over to his place was always a little weird for me. I wasn't particularly sure if his mother liked me or not.

"Am I invited?" I questioned him, trying to sound like I was just joking when I really wasn't.

"Mom said it would be great if both you and Reece would be able to make it." I raised my eyebrows at that and he tilted his head before confessing, "Okay, well, she didn't mention you but Reece and you have been inseparable lately, besides, she doesn't have anything against plus-ones so..."

"She won't mind, would she?'

"I asked her, she said it was fine." I simply nodded. I didn't want to say no cause turning down Corey was like impossible. There were times he'd look at you in a way that would leave you unable to muster a no.

"Should I dress casually or..." I trailed the question off.

"A little heavy. You know my mom..."

"Yeah, I do." Knowing his mom, her casual would be fine silk gowns and fancy hats with the biggest possible diamonds.

Corey waited for me outside my room as I changed into a simple dark blue dress. It wasn't heavy, but it was very elegant and classic. I had worn it when I had received a national art award.

I put on some plain white gold jewelry. It wasn't a huge occasion, but I felt like I was dressing to impress.

When I was out of my room, I had Corey give me a glare. A hard glare.

"Too much?" I asked innocently. He only glared harder in response as he took my hand and led me outside to hail a cab. It was well past eight, and there was no moon to shed any light.

The only sources of light were a streetlight four houses away and the light inside people's houses.

I could see Corey's blonde hair shine brightly even in the dim lights, and I realized that even mine would be shining.