I Should've Known...

I wasn't sure how fast my hands were moving

I wasn't sure how fast my hands were moving. I wasn't sure how my fingers were flowing so fast, so fluidly. I wasn't sure how I was able to burry some of the memories.

Flashbacks.

I was having flashbacks.

I hated flashbacks.

It was all a blur. Frozen river, the event title 'Christmas Ball' in bold on the invitation card, the dark blue background, the tuxes, my white dress. I was having flashbacks of all of it.

My breathing was fast, and every time I blinked, I saw his face. His face. Not Reece's. The third guy I had crushed on.

I hated his face.

But I loved it at the same time. Sometimes I found myself thinking about him, and I hated myself for it. I once used to be infatuated with him.

One Year Ago...

I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like an angel, and that was what I was aiming for. I had my hair open, and I was in a beautiful white dress.

I loved the dress, I loved myself.

I had done very light make-up. My face glowed due to the foundation and the highlighter I had applied. I had given equal emphasis to my lips and eyes, making them both stand out. I couldn't tell which looked more beautiful.

I loved my looks, I was proud of them.

I checked my phone for the hundredth time for his message, his call, but saw nothing. At this rate, I knew we would be late.

I slipped into my heels, and made my way down the stairs with my purse and phone in my hands. The house was empty, my parents had gone to Vegas so I was alone in the house. I took some selfies, waiting desperately for his call.

I sat silently, tapping my fingers impatiently against the wooden table, feeling the excitement bubbling inside me.

I still remember that feeling, even though it disgusts me now. I despise that feeling. I remember how desperate I was, how needy I was, how childish I was.

The revulsion coursed through my body till this day every time I thought of those days. What I had amounted to. It detested me.

Last December was colder than most

Snowflakes garneted the roads.

They said it was the month of heart break

I disagreed, believed heart could never break

The words were pouring out of me, but I didn't want to accept them as mine. The repugnance I felt towards them was greater than the pride I felt in writing them. I was sick and tired. My hands were numb, I was sobbing, but no tears were coming out. It was as if they were blocked.

It was as if my emotions were forced inside me to forever stay that way. I couldn't break the barrier that had developed. I was always good at controlling my tears, but there were times when I just wanted them to come out.