32 | RETURN OF THE FELLOWSHIP

ੈ✩‧₊˚𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗜𝗥𝗧𝗬-𝗧𝗪𝗢: 𝗥𝗘𝗧𝗨𝗥𝗡 𝗢𝗙 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗙𝗘𝗟𝗟𝗢𝗪𝗦𝗛𝗜𝗣

"𝐂𝐀𝐍'𝐓 𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏?" Leorio asked, catching you by surprise. You glanced over your shoulder to see him peering down at you from his spot on the couch, grinning. "Still have the birthday jitters?"

Shaking your head, you swivelled around to face him. "Just worried, is all. You know about Kurapika and everything else that's going on."

"I don't blame you. Things have been hectic around here, not to mention all the uncertainty regarding the Troupe...but... everything will work out in the end, right?"

You stared down at your lap. "Honestly? I don't know, and that's what scares me the most about this situation," you confessed. "Despite the Troupe leader being supposedly dead, I want to know how to help Kurapika; I want to protect Gon, Killua, and you from danger; I want to be able to make use of the confidence I've developed and the training I've endured and be satisfied with the person I've become." Bringing your knees closer towards you, you lowered your head to perch your chin on your arm. "I know how crazy I sound, but I...I want to―I wish I had the power to fix everything."

"Y/N..." he trailed off softly.

"Sorry, that was a bit much, wasn't it?" you chuckled weakly, turning around. "I'm sure I'll be fine if I sleep on it―"

"Hey." He placed a hand on your head, prompting you to look over. "Don't ever apologise for being open. You needed someone to spill your guts to, and I was happy to be that someone, okay? I might not be super reliable in terms of Nen, combat, and probably a lot of other things, but I can always lend an ear whenever you want to talk. Whether it's banter or something heavy that's weighing on your mind, it doesn't matter. I'll listen."

You pouted. "When did you get so good at comforting people?"

"Who knows?" He shrugged playfully before ruffling your hair. "Can I tell you something?"

"Go for it."

He shifted his body upright before sliding off the couch to sit beside you. "There's a quote I heard not long ago that goes like, 'Sometimes you don't realise you are drowning when you are trying to be everyone else's anchor.' At first, I thought nothing of it, mainly because I thought I was upfront about how I felt, but then I realised how much I related when I think back to my childhood." He knocked one of his knees gently against yours. "I think wanting to help others is perfectly fine; it's only natural. However, it's also important to realise when the desire to help has blurred the line between feasibility and a mind clouded with the responsibility for too many other people who are capable of handling their own problems."

"I suppose I feel obliged to help." You smiled sadly. "For the longest time, I've been useless, terrified to fight back. And now that I feel like I can do something, I guess a part of me wants to make up for all the times I could've helped."