09 | YOU'RE ON YOUR OWN, KID

*ੈ✩‧₊˚𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗘: 𝗬𝗢𝗨'𝗥𝗘 𝗢𝗡 𝗬𝗢𝗨𝗥 𝗢𝗪𝗡, 𝗞𝗜𝗗

𝐖𝐇𝐘 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐋 𝐃𝐎 𝐈 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄 𝐈'𝐕𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐄𝐍 𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐎𝐖𝐍 𝐀𝐓 𝐀 𝐁𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐊 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐋?

That was the only thought swirling around in your blurry, exhausted haze. After a few moments of letting your brain fog settle, your eyes finally flutter open due to the harsh, irritating light beaming down your face. Surely, you hadn't been asleep that long. Right?

As you let your eyes adjust to the light of the vast, circular chamber you were in, you took the chance to scope out your surroundings. Thankfully, everything seemed relatively normal. However, that thought was quickly shot when you noticed a particular presence beside you.

Hisoka.

Can't I have one day without seeing this man? Was that too much to ask?

"Finally awake?" Hisoka purred, his lips twitching upwards. The clown didn't bother sparing you a glance as he was far too busy building his house of cards.

Sitting up with more interest, your tired eyes watched how he delicately placed each one perfectly, leaving no room for mistakes. He was so meticulous it almost made you want to laugh.

You rubbed your eyes, blinking your sleepiness away. "W-Where... are we?"

"We're at the bottom of Trick Tower," Hisoka coolly replied. "We were the first ones to pass."

You twitched, furrowing your eyebrow. "W-We...we passed? You're k-kidding, right?!"

He doesn't answer. Instead, he continues his card construction. You groaned, not liking his vagueness and inability to provide you with clarity. Nevertheless, you turned your attention back towards the rest of the room, quietly observing the few other applicants who had managed to pass.

Scowling internally, you pinch the bridge of your nose once your gaze lands on Pinhead and a few other memorable candidates—for instance, the bald sharp-sensed male meditating in the corner of the room.

Great, just great.

Releasing an exasperated sigh, you pressed your lips together. Suddenly, a rustle on top of your head steals your focus, prompting you to look up.

"Chuntaro!" you bubbled, releasing a relieved but shaky laugh. "Are you alright, little buddy? You didn't get hurt or anything, did you?"

The tiny sparrow chirped at you warmly before plopping down onto your shoulder, awaiting you to stroke his feathers, which you do subconsciously. You inspect Chuntaro's body for possible injuries, worried that he might've gotten caught up in one of the tower's obstacles without you knowing. Thankfully, he's unscathed.