14 | THUNDERBOLT & LIGHTNING, VERY, VERY FRIGHTENING ME

*ੈ✩‧₊˚𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡: 𝗧𝗛𝗨𝗡𝗗𝗘𝗥𝗕𝗢𝗟𝗧 & 𝗟𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚, 𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗬, 𝗩𝗘𝗥𝗬 𝗙𝗥𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧𝗘𝗡𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗠𝗘

𝐈'𝐌 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐀 𝐏𝐎𝐎𝐑 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋, 𝐍𝐎𝐁𝐎𝐃𝐘 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄𝐒 𝐌𝐄. 𝐒𝐇𝐄'𝐒 𝐉𝐔𝐒𝐓 𝐀 𝐏𝐎𝐎𝐑 𝐆𝐈𝐑𝐋 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐀 𝐏𝐎𝐎𝐑 𝐅𝐀𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐘. 𝐒𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐑 𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐅𝐑𝐎𝐌 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐒 𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐒𝐈𝐓𝐘.

.ೃ࿐

Hearing a slight rustle before him, Satotz glanced up from his book. "You're awake?"

"Where am I?" Gon asked, propping himself up to scan his surroundings, noting the quaint moderate room he was currently resting in.

"A waiting room, next to the arena for the Final Phase," Satotz explained, crossing one of his legs over the other as he briefly took in the boy's bandaged form. Standing up from his seat, he grabbed the chair's arms, lifted it, and scooted towards Gon, who sat still, partially puzzled by his environment.

Suddenly recalling his battle from earlier, his eyes widened slightly. "Right. I was in the middle of the Hunter Exam."

"Your arm will heal quickly," Satotz reassured, sitting beside the boy. "The break was very clean. Once it heals, the bone will be stronger than before." He extended his pale hand towards Gon. "In any case, congratulations on passing the exam."

Staring blankly at Satotz's hand, Gon pressed his lips together. "Satotz, I―"

"You can't." Satotz grasped gently onto the boy's hand. "Just as someone who has failed the exam can no longer pass, someone who has passed the exam can no longer fail," he contended, "the rest is up to you. If you feel you are unqualified to be a pro, you can destroy or put away your license. You can even sell it since no one else can use it. However, someone who has passed the exam cannot retake it." He adjusted the cuffs of his sleeves, ensuring they had no wrinkles. "Professional Hunters are treated well due to our predecessors' efforts. Hence, many applicants harbour ill intentions. If it weren't for them, we would accept every person who applied."

Reaching to grab Gon's license folder, Satotz opened it, revealing the delicate Hunter license inside that glimmered from the sun's rays, peaking in through the windows. Gon leaned over, eager to look at it.

Clearing his throat, Satotz elaborated, "Most professional Hunters consider this card more valuable than their own lives, yet no more than a worthless scrap of paper at the same time." He smiled faintly. "The important thing is what you accomplish once you become a Hunter."

"What I accomplish...." Gon trailed off, peering up to meet Satotz's gaze.

Nodding his head, Satotz delicately took the license from the folder into his hand and held it closer towards the boy.