28 | NEVER BACK DOWN, NEVER WHAT?

*ੈ✩‧₊˚𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗪𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗬-𝗘𝗜𝗚𝗛𝗧: 𝗡𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥 𝗕𝗔𝗖𝗞 𝗗𝗢𝗪𝗡, 𝗡𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥 𝗪𝗛𝗔𝗧?

"𝐓𝐀𝐍𝐉𝐈𝐑𝐎, 𝐍𝐎!"

That was the last of your voice the maroon-haired boy heard before crashing onto the ground below. As he fell, his crafted wooden box for Nezuko slipped off his shoulders and landed with a hefty thud beside him. All his muscles and bones ached with searing pain, throbbing every time he tried to breathe. 

The dishevelled slayer was at a loss; he could no longer cling to consciousness, and before long, his eyes closed, unable to fight the overwhelming desire to shut.

You, too, were not far from facing a similar fate as Daki's snowy locks, like wild whips, propelled toward your dazed figure. It had almost caught you off guard, but thankfully, you dodged it just in the nick of time with a back handspring. Your legs felt weary and heavy like two balls and chains were cuffed around your ankles, weighing you down. And with Inosuke, Tengen, and now Tanjiro down for the count, you were sure your body wouldn't be able to hang on for much longer.

Gyutaro cackled amusedly, revealing his set of jagged teeth. "Ah, such a nimble little mouse," he grinned. "But a rat can't run from the dragon's claws!"

Moving impossibly quick, the Upper Rank ripped his flesh sickle out of Inosuke's chest, shoved him aside and darted for you. He leapt onto the rooftop you were on with his raised weapons, then drove them down with great haste, puncturing through the roof's tiles and sending a sequence of dark red aura toward you in a domino-like effect. And as the attack drew nearer, you somehow managed to force yourself out of the way despite your shitty condition.

Swiftly dodging backward to avoid another of his oncoming attacks, you miscalculated one of your steps and felt your foot slip into a hole in the roof. An overwhelming sense of dread encased your body, furthering the adrenaline coursing through your system. Desperately attempting to tug your foot out, sharp pieces of wood poked through your pants, digging into your skin like stinging fangs. 

You held back your groans, biting your cheek as you tugged your foot out. Unfortunately, your delay in escaping had given Gyutaro time to appear behind you and grab a tight fistful of your hair.

"It looks like you've got nowhere else to run," he taunted sadistically, yanking your head back so he could see your expression and take in every aspect. "Well, that's not fair." His spare hand tilted your chin firmly in his direction, providing a better view. "Even with all your injuries and scars, you still look good. I hate it. I hate it so much it makes me want to throw up." However, unlike what he said, the Upper Rank leaned close to you and brushed his nose against your neck, inhaling deeply. "Goddammit, you even smell nice too. Oh, what to do? Should I rip out your throat or watch you suffer some more?"

Daki, watching from afar, clicked her tongue in annoyance. "Unless you want me to go over there and finish her off for you, chop-chop, brother!"

"You're so impatient," Gyutaro drawled, pulling away to glare at Daki. He ran his tongue over his pointy teeth, then focused back on you. "I'm trying to savour every last second—"