CH 2.1 Safety for Friends

Start from the beginning

"Bird watching and sailing," Alex replied. "His wife loves knitting."

Dr. Dewey frowned his professor's frown at her and she went silent. When she batted her eyelashes at him, he humphed and said, "Alex is correct."

"Corpus Christie, Galveston, or would you prefer the South Carolina coast? Or even Costa Rica?" Grange accepted the cup of coffee that Mary handed him.

"What do you think, Mary?" Dr. Dewey looked up at his wife as he took his cup of coffee from her.

Grange took Dr. Dewey's cup of coffee and handed the professor his. Mary pursed her lips.

"I don't think we should take anything from Alex." Mary sat at the table.

"That isn't up for discussion," Alex said. "Your choice is where."

"Trust me, Alex is very determined," Rile said. "This involves Morgan. All rational thought is over and done with. I'm going to kill him. He's a monster who will torture you, Dr. Dewey, and think nothing of raping you, Miz Mary. You two need to be gone, gone, gone. " He savagely chewed a croissant.

Grange cleared his throat and asked, "Corpus Christi, Galveston, or South Carolina coast?" He smiled at them, all amiability, and sipped his coffee.

Dewey and Mary bent their heads together and discussed quietly for several minutes. At last, Mary looked back up at Grange and stated firmly, "South Carolina coast."

Grange nodded. "Leave your house to us. We'll take care of it," he said. "I've got a driver and car ready outside to take you to the hotel. Consider it an early house hunting vacation."

Alex rose from his seat and Rile followed suit.

"Goodbye Dr. Dewey, goodbye Mary," Alex said sadly. "Sorry I ruined your lives."

"It wasn't your fault." Dr. Dewey pushed up his wire-rim glasses.

"Oh, dear, don't say that." Mary drew Alex into a warm embrace, who accepted it but didn't return it. "I'm looking forward to retirement. Now I'll have my husband all to myself."

"Thanks for the place to live," Rile said.

Dr. Dewey smiled at both of them in turn and replied, "And thank you for saving me that night."

Grange looked at his watch.

"We'll pack." Dr. Dewey placed his arm around his wife's waist, and she looked up at him with utter fondness.

Grange walked to the front door and opened it. Two men in suits entered and stood next to Dr. Dewey.

"These two will help you pack and then drive you to the hotel," Grange explained. "I have business with Alex."

"And Rile. He's my partner," Alex said. "Lucky you, it's a two for one deal."

Grange gave

a knowing nod as his car hummed down Carrollton Avenue, peering out the window at the two story house with Wedgewood blue stucco walls and cream stone accents. He parked at the curb.

"That house was divided into four apartments," Grange said, drumming his fingers on the dashboard. "The other three residents are our people and they'll leave you alone. They've been ordered to shoot Morgan on sight."

Alex's lip curled in anticipation as they stepped out of the car, but Rile remained still. He only moved when Alex leaned against him.

"What do you think, Rile?" she asked.

Rile exhaled and looked beyond the house before adjusting his Stetson hat and replying, "I think we need a portal."

Alex grinned. "Don't be grumpy. I owe Grange."

"We owe Grange. If your people shoot Morgan, don't kill him. That honor belongs to me." Rile jammed on his Stetson and exited the car.

"Rile, remember the whole James Bond thing," Alex warned.

Grange put the key in the door and opened it, revealing a small staircase leading up. He carefully stepped up, with Alex following close behind and Rile bringing up the rear after locking the door.

"Home sweet home," Grange announced as he swept his arm across the open space. The living room was dominated by a large flat screen television, with a comfortable-looking couch, two matching love seats, and a recliner all gathered around it.

"There's a small kitchen, two bedrooms, and two and a half baths. Do you want it?" Grange asked the other two.

"If Rile does." Alex said, looking up at him with an expectant expression on her face.

"I want satellite and Wi-Fi." Rile replied without missing a beat.

Alex grinned up at him and took off his Stetson. "He means it. What's my assignment?"

"You'll like it," Grange said as he reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a smart phone. He tapped the screen before handing it over to Alex. "Muslim terrorists."

Alex took it from him and skimmed it with Rile leaning in to read over her shoulder. A malicious grin spread across her face as she looked up at Grange with determination in her eyes. "Good. They treat their women like dirt. Time for the dirt to get in their eyes."