Chapter 8

I looked at the wall. Do I trust them? The only way to get out of this hell hole is to talk after I can just be quiet. "Harper," my voice is raspy from not drinking water.

"Well, Harper, can you come out of there? We can take you to the police station and find your family." Blake said, getting closer to me.

"But I'm with my family," I say, unsure.

"No one is in the house, but I know someone was, and that's why you have a black eye."' officer Brown said.

"Dude, shut your pie hole," Blake said, annoyed, which made me giggle. Blake looked at me, and her smile got bigger. She put her hand out, and I flinched away from it. Is she going to hit me?

"Hey, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you; I was going to help you up." Her smile drops a little

Help? Why does she want to help me? I never hear that word. Well, sometimes I do, but not the same way As Blake said, David's way of helping is so much different.

I didn't know I was crying till my cheeks were all wet. I don't want to think about the word help.

"Hey Harper, you are okay," Blake said as she started coming closer.

Did she say okay, I'm not okay? Do you not see me? I'm broken. If only they saw my bruises, they would know that I'm not okay and probably will never be okay or feel safe.

She keeps coming closer. I don't know what to do; I'm frozen. She wraps her arms around me.

What is she doing? This is not normal. Is this normal? Do I even know what normal means?

What is this called? I don't know what she is doing to me or what to do back.

"You're freezing." She said, Worried, she took the blanket from where the officer threw it and wrapped me in it. She starts rubbing my arms to keep me warm.

I lay my head on her shoulder. My eyes are heavy, and I'm tired. She goes to move, and I jump and look up at her.