Chapter 6

I woke up in so much pain. I looked at the door and listened; I couldn't hear anything. Did I kill him? He couldn't die; I would go to jail. I need to check on him. I remember he didn't lock it, but one of the rules says no upstairs.

I know he was wrong, but he shouldn't die. I got up to look. I sat up and started feeling lightheaded. I looked at the door. It was not that far away. I'll be fine. I got up and started limping to the door—my knee hurt. I think I broke it, or maybe I'm just dramatic.

You are very dramatic, Harper, my subconscious thoughts say

I made it up the stairs. I started to look around the house and didn't see anybody but blood. It goes to the other door. I'm not going out there.

Scaredy cat

I walk over to a door and see a mirror.

Damm, you look bad, Harper.

My skin is pale; I got dark under my eyes, and my eyes are puffy and red from my crying. I'm skinny, not the excellent skinny. I have a black eye and a busted lip; the rest is hiding under my clothes. I'm lucky I even got clothes.

I heard banging from the door in the living room.

It's time to play Harper.

I need to hide. I see more stairs, but my knee can't handle more stairs. I know a desk in a room. I could hide in there. I walk more into the room. I see a closet in the corner of the room. I opened it to find a blanket. I grab it to close the closet door and lay on the floor under the blanket in a ball in the corner of the closet.

I hear a loud bang, then footsteps there inside the house. Now I hear some going upstairs. I hear voices. They keep saying clear what that even means.

Clear how it is clear their blood.

I hear footsteps coming into the room. I'm in, there coming closer. My hands start shaking, and my heart beats faster. I'm going to die.

Omg, stop being so dramatic, Harper.

You only need to be dramatic when you don't know who is in your home.

Harper this is not a home.

"Clear," I hear a guy's voice.

"What about the closet," a female voice said.

The guy didn't reply. "You're an idiot, Officer Brown," the female said. I heard the footsteps get closer, and my whole body shook with fear.