Chapter 1

~Harper~

The sound of dribbling water leaking from the old rusty pipes on the side in the corner of the basement. Drips echo as they come in contact with the cold floor of the cellar. That is all I can hear, the only sound in my so-called room. This happens every time it rains or snows; the water drops put me at ease. The sound is soothing and reassuring.

Winter is coming soon, I know, because the floor is cold, the air is heavy and damp, and the only thing to keep me warm is my blanket, which has holes and stains from never being washed.

I have only ever been in the basement. I have never dared to go upstairs. I watch the door of the basement when I'm awake. I sleep in the corner.

Next to my bed are some books. My favorite is Because of Winn-Dixie. I read that book a lot. I learned how to read by myself. I don't go to school, doctor. I need to find out what is outside of this basement. And I don't know if I want to know, but what if everyone is like David? What if everyone means? What would I do? I can't take more people hating me.

David hurts me a lot. I wonder why he does it. I try to be good. I stay quiet. I let him and his friend do what they want with me. I never put up a fight or beg. I don't eat or drink a lot. Is it my fault he gives me a list of what to follow, and I do them, but sometimes he says I didn't listen to one and get punished for it? Maybe I deserved it, but I didn't know he kept changing them on me. It's not fair that I can't read minds.