Chapter 1

Y/n's POV

Honestly, school sucked. Especially when you're in math class, a class that I certainly wanted to understand.
"Alright, class. You may find your partners, remember. You have until next class to finish this presentation, you guys aren't in middle school! Work hard..." Our teacher sneered. Her grey hair made me gag, she was old and should be in a retirement home. I can't even imagine staying in school my whole life, how does someone choose to be a teacher?
I remained in my seat, waiting for my partner to come and walk up to me. A little joke, considering he was tired this morning and most probably didn't want to get up.
Eventually, most of my peers had found their partners, I looked up from my paper. Only to find Illumi Zoldyck staring at me with a smug expression.
That little son of a bitch.
Or, in this case. Son of a bastard.

"Great, we wasted like 5 minutes of our work time because you were to lazy to get up. Aren't you supposed to be a good assassin?" I said with a smirk, my gaze met his. For a split second, I swore I could see his lips curl up. He snatched a chair and sat down next to me, resulting in the desk that was next to mine missing a chair. "Well, aren't you supposed to be smart? At least i'm good at math." Illumi said with a smirk. Sadly, Illumi was clearly a very damaged person. I met him when I was around three, and he rarely showed emotion. But i'd take a smirk as a smile any day.
I stifle a laugh before writing my name on the paper. "Suck it up." I said playfully, Illumi remained silent which brought confusion to my thoughts.
When I looked back at him, the smirk and somehow playful look was gone, I was met with the same stone cold expression I hated the most. I sighed before grasping my math book and opening it to page 13, where we can find multiple ways on how to divide 'x' from 1/4 and so on...
Since when did math have letters?
Right, ever since I decided high school was a good idea.

I was busy looking at my math book, while jotting down some equations when I felt a piercing gaze stumble upon me. I swiflty turn around, only to see Illumi looking and me, then my math book.
"Jesus!-" I hiss, his sudden closeness was absolutely frightening. Despite being an assassin myself, I wasn't nearly as good at Illumi. I was a master in manipulation and temperature (we'll get to that later.) While Illumi was extremely skilled his nen (manipulation) and physical training.
My partner just blinked at me, shrugging it off rather quickly.

As time went on, the equations only got more and more difficult. Obviously, I managed to complete them with triumph. But I wasn't that great...Illumi, was wonderful. In math, specifically. We were complete opposites when it came to that sort of stuff. But thats what makes everything interesting, when you take two people and force them to be around eachother. You're also forcing their thoughts and opinions to merge in some way, thats where a powerful force comes in.
Influence.
I was influenced by Illumi many times, and partially-- I find I influenced him aswell...From dressing up in simple school hoodies, to actually putting in some effort. It made me proud of the boy, and I made sure to constantly share that with him. Despite how 'annoying' I was.
"Illumi?" I called out, as a thought crossed my mind.
His head perked up, and his hand stopped writing down the equation-- though he made sure to mark where he was so he wouldn't lose track.
"Hm..?" He replied, his tone boring and blunt.
"You're in theatre, right?" I say with a raised eyebrow. Illumi was an...Interesting boy, considering he rarely showed emotion-- how on earth could he be good at theatre?
"Yeah, why?" He said calmly before continueing his math problem.
I heaved a gentle sigh before letting a hum escape my lips.
"Oh...Well, the roles for Romeo & Juliette are posted on the bulletin board near the stage room." I said with a chuckle.
I see his eyes widen slightly.
"Wait, really? When did they come out?" He said before taking a sip from his water bottle, I saw his phone in his bag- despite out school being assholes and not allowing us to have our phones in our bags during class periods. Which resulted in tons of phones being stolen, mine included.
"They came out today, in the morning. I saw Miss. Emily putting it up while the buses arrived." I said calmly.
I knew who all the roles were.
Illumi squinted his large, bug eyes at me before putting his bottle down.
"I'm going to check it out after class, I auditioned for this one...Believe it or not." He said with a slight chuckle. I was slightly stunned to know that Illumi wanted to be apart of a romance play. "You might want to check it out afterwards, like maybe near the end of the day? You're going to get tackled by the seniors in theatre just to see the paper." I said calmly. He nodded his head to my statement before I turn back to Illumi.
"You do know i'm in band, right?" I said with a blunt tone, since we were experienced, our band had to be one of the best. It was definitely better then the senior band-- which was a band that basically consisted of kids who wanted to kill themselves. It was emotionless, and the clarinets squeeked.
Constantly.
Illumi nodded before letting out a small chuckle. "Yes, you're a flautist? Correct?" He said. I was actually quite surprised that he knew was it was called considering i've heard him tell his younger siblings that a trumpet player was called a 'trumpetists'.
It was traumatizing.
"yeah! How did you remember?" I said with a smile, it honestly made me quite happy to know he put in the effort to remember what I played. And since he always said I was annoying, it meant even more to me.
There was a long silence, but Illumi had his mouth opened to say something.
He cleared his throat before I finally got an answer...
Illumi mumbled something under his breath, though I barely heard him. "Uh...I didn't hear you, Illu?"
"I um...I was there..." He said in an ashamed tone.
"You were where?" I said with a raised eyebrow. Illumi groaned before putting his pencil down and turning to me with a serious glance. I felt his strong hands get placed on my shoulders.
He was rather close...
"I was there, when you auditioned to try and be apart of honour band...You did...Decent." He said with a sneer before letting go of my shoulders and turning back to his work. The entire 'shoulder' thing was a bit random, but nonetheless...I was super happy! I didn't know Illumi would do something like that for me!
Illumi wasn't the type of person to go ahead and watch band concerts, or go to games. So I was shocked.

"Um...Why are you looking at me like that?" He said with a 'disgusted' look.

"Nothing. I just...I didn't know." I said as there was a smile plastered upon my face. Illumi continued to look at me, before his eyes softened a tad bit.
"Whatever...Just...Do your work so I don't fail." He snarled before continueing to write his math problem.
That was enough to make me happy for the rest of the day.