christmas grief.

plot : ian gallagher struggles with the holidays ever since monica , his mother , passed away unexpectedly.

a/n : i also have a new book out!! i've recently gotten into the originals and decided to start a mikaelson brother x y/n oneshot book. go give it a read!

——————

"ian!" mickey called from the bottom of the stairs while buttoning up his plaid flannel, getting frustrated when he couldn't button it up correctly.
"this god damn shirt." he grumbled, about to take it off until his husband appeared infront of him, laughing softly at mickey.

he started buttoning the flannel up and patted mickeys chest when he finished, "there you go franny junior." ian snickered and walked off, grabbing the keys from off of the hook, feeling mickeys eyeroll burn through the back of his head.

"you know with that christmas spirit mick, santa won't bring you any good gifts. just coal." ian turned to face him and watched as the shorter man glared at him before responding, "i haven't gotten any gifts since i was a naked infant. not even coal ian, i'm sure i'll be fine."

the ginger shrugged, "i feel like the alcohol and drugs your father fed you should count. even as a christmas feast." the man threw on his jacket and handed the other man his own, who just gave him a nasty look, but ian knew there was no real anger.

"why are you so cheery today." mickey whined, earning a smile from the taller man infront of him who seemed to avoid the question, which was rhetorical anyway so it didn't even matter. however, the milkovich could sense something was up so the silence and avoidance bothered him, even if it was a rhetorical question, why did the ginger seem to flinch at it?

it was a very simple answer, but in mickeys mind nothing made sense.

the truth was, ian wasn't very excited for the holiday as he usually was. it had only been a year since monica had passed which made it the first christmas that the possibility of monica showing up, was inevitably zero.

the gallagher wouldn't dare let anyone figure it out though, he was supposed to hate his mother. after everything she put him and his siblings through, why does he still miss her? why is this holiday, along with every holiday they celebrate so incredibly hard?

ian hadn't even realized it but he had zoned out standing at the door with his hand on the knob, and it wasn't until mickey nudged his chest that he finally snapped back to reality.
"whats going on with you?" the milkovich raised an eyebrow but ian played it off, masking it with a confused look.

"nothing, why?" he answered and started his way to the car, his boyfriend following after him with his hands shoved into his coat pocket.
"..because you just stood at the door staring into fucking space?" mickey replied, earning a shrug from ian, "just sorta zoned out, i don't know."

for the time being, mickey shrugged it off and got into the passenger seat of the car, watching as ian started it. the gallagher played a lot of annoying christmas songs on the way to his families house, loudly singing it because he knew how much the milkovich hated it.

mickey sat there with his arms cross, rolling his eyes here and there, muttering a few curse words at the boy when he annoyingly poked his shoulder over and over again.
"how close are we?" he asked, looking over at the ginger who pointed at the house as he continued to sing the song until it ended, parking the car a few moments after that.