chapter one

DARK SECRETS.
chapter one — BLOOD ON THE COALS
"for she knew she never belonged in one place,
she just belonged to too many factions...
one would call her dangerous."

 • ☆

. • ☆ . ° .• °:. *₊ ° . ☆

VALENTINA EATON ALWAYS KNEW SHE NEVER BELONGED IN JUST ONE PLACE. she was more than just the selfless abnegation girl. in fact, she didn't really consider herself to be fit for her home faction in abnegation. she was always alone or on her own, especially now the last two years after her older brother transferred to another faction. him leaving was one of the hardest things she had to endure. he was her absolute best friend, her protector. he took care of her and protected her as much as he could from their abusive father.

there was nothing she could do about him transferring to another faction. in fact, she wanted him to do it even if it meant she was stuck for another two years. there was nothing she wanted more for him than to get away from the beatings their father gave to them. him leaving meant she was endure it all, more so that she didn't have him to jump in and take it all for her.

after he left, she was the most vulnerable than she had ever been in her entire life. she was alone. alone with the man who left her with scars that would be with her for the rest of her life. trauma that no one would ever be able to understand except for her brother. a trauma she worked through alone and kept to herself to protect her fathers image as he was the leader of abnegation, the leader of the governing faction.

the first year after her brother left was the absolute hardest. she missed the warmth and comfort he brought her after their father got to angry and took it out on them. she missed when they would sneak out to watch the sun set, enjoying the peace it would bring to them.

though their peace was often short lived with their father in the picture. it was even more damaging for them growing up as they lost their mother to a sickness when she was four and he was six. this left the two young kids with the devil himself. with every hit, every mark on them growing up, their father would say it's for their own well being. to make them stronger out of love.

it was horrid to say the least. embedded in the kids were nothing but a deep trauma that would for as long as possible be unspoken. however certain allegations against their father erupted of him being abusive. this stirred from erudite, the rumor spreading amongst the factions, shortly after her brother transferred elsewhere, defecting from abnegation.

she knew the talks would grow worse against him once she made her choice today. there was one thing for sure, and that was the matter of her transferring as well. she couldn't take the abuse anymore. she couldn't take being stuck in a faction she knew she didn't belong off. except their one was big issue that has been haunting her the last couple days.