𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱.

056| Last Goodbyes

~H A N N I E L~

It's been three months since everything changed drastically. Three months since my life did a fucking transition and I found myself back in Australia, but for a terrible reason.

I heaved a sigh, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes as I helped myself with a bowl of chocolate pops. To be honest, I had no appetite, even if my stomach felt hollow and empty like a cave, and the pops tasted like nothing but molds of sand in my mouth.

The atmosphere in the house these past 3 months was very shitty, if I must say. The gloom that hung in the air and made everyone's heart heavy made me want to hang myself. It was so fucking annoying. I was exhausted.

It felt like Dad was dying, and Mum being the overly emotional one between both of them wasn't helping matters. We prayed every night, went on a fast every week and the next two weeks after, it felt like an endless, insufferable cycle.

All I really wanted was for Dad to be fine. I wasn't bothered about praying non-stop or any of that. But I missed what life used to be like before this.

And I missed Grey eyes a lot.

It was strange that I actually had a life before her, but I'd only known her for a short while and now that I was away from her for just three months, I couldn't even remember how I lived before knowing her.

Life without her was totally different. I saw it in the way it was to her; totally grey, colorless. There was no one to rant to, share my music with, and sit alone with on the bleachers.

I picked up my phone and sent a quick text to her.

"Han, baby," Mum's voice called from upstairs. I realized there was a plate of cereal in my hands that I'd long forgotten about. I dropped it on the table and rose to my feet. "Bring a glass of water for your father."

Mum had let the house helps take a leave during the weekend. We were just three in Dad's house, currently.

I went to the kitchen and after setting a glass upside down and a bottle of water on a tray, I made my way to Dad's room.

I didn't like seeing Dad in this state. I avoided looking at his face so much, he probably thought I hated him or was angry at him.

But I actually really missed him. Dad and I didn't have the best father-son relationship, but he'd always remain my father. He wasn't as active as he used to be, and I realized I really took those moments for granted.

"You can at least take a seat with your father," Mum called me back on seeing how I dashed towards the door. I took a deep breath in and sat on a wooden chair next to Dad.

He couldn't even drink his water properly.

"Your father and I came to a decision, Hanniel," Mum started saying, "I realized we were being selfish by making you stay here and putting a halt on your... the important things in your life, rather. Like your academics. It's good to spend some quality time with your father, of course but not at the expense of your studies, Han baby. So you'll be going back to Nigeria tomorrow."

I could do nothing but stare and keep quiet. I was totally mute, like a deaf and dumb person. From casually dragging me back to Australia, to booking a flight and preparing to send me back like I was a package of little to no relevance.

"What if I don't want to go?" I questioned, my voice coming out in a monotone, empty just like the way I felt.

I didn't even have the energy to feel anger.