Chapter 1

TESS

Reading on the couch in Wren's living room, I glanced around the massive townhouse. High ceilings. Marble hearth. Exquisite decorations.

Wren's family insisted we take up residence closer to his office, but, as it turned out, it was a mere stunt to boost the polls in his favor. The papers ate it up: Wren Davis and Montgomery Sweetheart Move in Together – Power Couple Takes Davis' City Residence, and more...

I was a Montgomery heiress; Wren, a Davis. Diplomacy ran thick in their veins. Politicians with every fiber of their beings, his parents educated him from a young age to partake in the family business. Just another reason why I was at home by myself on a Friday evening.

Slipping my feet from my fluffy slippers and curling my toes under my butt, I tried to sit up straighter on the leather surface of the chesterfield. Reaching out for my glass of red wine, the hearth crackled as the fire licked at the burning logs, providing warmth in this chilly season.

Sweeping my golden locks over my shoulder and indulging myself in another sip of the tasteful red liquid, I resumed devouring a steamy romance novel. My guilty pleasure during the nights I routinely spent alone in the expanse of this massive house.

Heat pooled in my belly when the hero titled up the chin of the heroine to look at him. Was I jealous of the heroine? Absolutely. I loved the idea of these cute, funny encounters, clever conversations and that feeling of embarrassment on behalf of the characters.

I had long given up on the idea of Wren doing anything romantic, let alone have one of those body-shattering orgasms that all the women in my books got to experience. At least I got to live vicariously through them. That was better than nothing at all... or perhaps it was a way of torturing myself, dreaming about all the things I knew were never coming my way. The way two people flowed together in harmony, the sensations a simple touch could evoke on each others' skin, and closeness.

It was something I craved desperately. I wanted that connection with someone; I desired the heat in a relationship that these fictional characters had.

I thought those feelings would blossom in time with Wren, but they hadn't.

Our relationship wasn't built on love. He never made my stomach flutter or my heart ache in his absence. He was comfortable to be around, my best friend through all these years of wading in the waters of high society.

At least in the world of a romance novel, I could escape, savor moments alone, and unwind. Sad thoughts for someone of my age, but it wasn't like I had much to choose from.

My phone flashed right when the book got me all hot and bothered, eliciting a frustrated sigh from me. Was I not allowed to have even my fantasies anymore?

But as tempting as it was to ignore it, my mother's name on the screen was enough to change my mind. Despite the dread that filled my stomach, answering now was better than letting it go to voicemail.

"Tess, why aren't you attending tonight's event with Wren?" My mother's voice sounded upset. Not even a hello, as usual. My shoulders sagged for a moment before correcting my posture, leaning into the decorative pillow. Here was to hoping it was going to be a short conversation.

Yet, knowing my mother, I was about to receive another lecture on what was expected of me. While the Davis family had a long political history, my roots traced back to old money. The Montgomery family owned land and historical buildings scattered across the city, and with that came living up to certain standards.

"It's a private event and not official on the calendar of the campaign," I replied, trying to keep my voice even. She was micromanaging me again. "My presence wasn't needed tonight."