Chapter 33: High-Drama Crimes

Start from the beginning

{She's sneaking out again, huh? I'll have the guards stop you before the gates, and I'll meet you out there.}

{Thanks. And only if you have time.} My poor mate had way too much work to do.

{I always have time for you, Anne.}

He was so amazing that I could feel utter bliss even while in the midst of this most annoyingly absurd situation. Serenity noticed my blissful smile and nodded approvingly, picking up speed since she clearly thought I was cooperating now. 

Her good mood lasted only a few more seconds until she saw several guards approaching. "Curses, my mate must have sent them. Run, Lady Anne!" She released me and started dashing towards the service gate. I didn't follow, just watching as the guards caught up with her and pulled her to a stop.

"Unhand me, I am the Luna of Harvest Moon," she protested, squirming in their grip.

"Apologies, Luna, but it's His Majesty's orders."

"His Majesty's?" Her forehead crinkled in confusion, and then she figured out what happened. Her accusatory gaze practically burned me. "You tattled on me?"

"I wouldn't call it that."

"I thought we were friends," she said. "That someone was on my side."

"I am on your side. And we are friends. But friends don't let friends get abducted a third time."

She shook off the guards easily and threw her hands up in the air. "One time was a misunderstanding, so it doesn't count!"

"You know that doesn't actually make it better, right?"

She sighed. I wasn't sure if it meant I'd finally gotten through to her or if she'd just given up. Then she said, "But weren't you worried about him?"

"Yeah, I was. So I'll tell him that."

She just looked confused. Then Arthur appeared around the corner with his usual impeccable timing.

Maybe it was better to try to teach through example. "Arthur, next time you go do something dangerous, mind link me when you get back so I don't worry, please."

"Sorry, love. I didn't want to bother you since you're so busy."

"I want you to bother me about stuff like that."

Arthur smiled at me. "Then I'll do that."

I kissed him on the cheek.

I really hoped Serenity was listening and taking notes. I couldn't read her expression, at least not until Brandon appeared. For one second, she looked ecstatic that he was there, and then it transformed into resentment.

My groan stayed on the inside in proper princess fashion as Arthur led me away from the coming fight.

Once we were well out of earshot, I said, "You should suggest that your parents appoint a royal councillor or psychologist. Or both."

"I should. We used to have one, but he quit due to burnout. And so did his replacement after six weeks."

"I'm not even surprised."

<<< << < > >> >>>

That night, I ate supper with Arthur and his parents, but sadly we weren't alone. Lucas and his parents had joined us. My sister hadn't been invited, and I was partly disappointed that she wasn't there so I could observe her more closely with Lucas.

Analyzing her interactions would have been a welcome distraction, since sitting across from the wolf who had been nearly naked running through the halls earlier was a bit awkward. While accidentally catching pack members in the nude wasn't an entirely uncommon experience, there was something different about getting an accidental peak in the forest while shifting, and another when it was a jump-scare surprise.