Chapter 31: Misinterpreted the Situation

Start from the beginning

The worst thing until Brandon almost ran down a vaguely familiar homeless woman in a flowered shawl.

{Watch it,} I cautioned.

{I didn't hit her, she's fine.}

{Just everyone be careful,} I said, although we were getting close to the edge of the city. It only took a couple of minutes for us to make it through the suburbs, and then we were running alongside the highway, and we reached Hemmingswood.

{Where are the rogues?} One of the fighters asked. 

{I tried linking the officers stationed here for direction, but I'm getting no response.}

That wasn't promising. Hopefully they were just unconscious rather than dead. Then a scream split the silence and gave us direction.

Lucas ordered the fighters to sweep the perimeter of the town, and the three of us pivoted towards the sound of distress. It took us only moments to find the source of the scream. A female wolf was growling and trying to shield three children from a pair of rogues who were snapping and snarling as they circled her, clearly going for the young ones.

Pierce had been quiet throughout our frantic run, lending me his strength but not interfering, but the sight set him off. {How dare they attack pups!?} he snarled and the sound leaked out my own throat. Fully in agreement with my wolf, we charged forward and grabbed a rogue's hindquarter with our sharp canines. My friends went for the other one, leaving me to my prey.

{We should try to keep them alive for questioning,} I said to my friends and fighters as much as to my wolf who was out for blood, digging into the rogues flesh with all the force of his powerful jaws.

Even though I was much larger than the rogue, it wasn't willing to go down without a fight. It wrenched itself away from me, shredding its own flesh with the harsh movement. I spat out the foul fur and blood that were left behind as it turned and started to dash away, abandoning the other rogue that Lucas and Brandon had already taken down. The rogue was surprisingly fast.

{I don't think so,} Pierce said, eyeing the running rogue with a wolfish smirk. I released control to him because he loved a chase, and moments later we were hurtling after the fleeing rogue. It leapt over a fence into some poor citizen's backyard, and I did the same, clearing it easily. Then the rogue cut through hedges into a back ally, but rather than trying to follow him through the small space, I ran around, losing valuable seconds.

Pierce wasn't concerned about the loss. He put on a burst of speed and soon we were at the rogue's side. It quickly darted in the opposite direction, but Pierce wasn't an alpha wolf for nothing, his reflexes were unmatched, and he copied the move a split second later rendering the evasive manoeuvre futile.

Pierce ran until he was almost beside the wolf, then lurched to the side, sinking teeth deep into the rogue's neck as he threw our greater weight onto the wolf, breaking through a backyard fence and ending the chase as quickly as it had begun. {I've caught him.} I informed the others where I was.

Lucas was quick to respond. {Brandon has this one secured, and the fighter's have taken down another pair.}

A few moments later, a completely naked Lucas appeared. Most wolves tried to avoid nudity to keep their mates happy, but Lucas was completely unperturbed as he crouched down beside the wolf I was still holding still with my weight.

"Shift," he said, throwing his dominance as my second towards the rogue. It did not move other than the rise and fall of its huffing breaths. Strange, most wolves couldn't stand up under even Lucas's power.

He tried again, and it did nothing. {I couldn't get anything out of the other one, either,} he said.

We spent the next half of an hour securing the town against further threats. We discovered that the officer stationed at the town and both deputies had been killed by rogues early in the attack, although they had taken out three in the vicinity of the office, and a fourth rogue had died at the end of a bloody trail a few blocks later. Without the officers, the town had been rendered relatively defenceless, although several civilians had done what they could to fight back. To my dismay and my wolf's, three civilian pack members had also been killed, and two more gravely injured.