Bullet To The Chest

Start from the beginning

"Where are you off to?" she asks with a laugh. "Salt Lake City. I am picking up those two idiot friends of mine from the airport. You didn't think they would miss your wedding did ya?" he asks with a grin. Both Red and Jeremy had received scholarships in Texas. Jeremy had just been signed with the Dallas Cowboys while Red had chosen to focus on his studies. They had taken their mother with them and cared for her until she eventually succumbed to her illness. Her boys had done her proud and now that they were all grown up she had let herself go. Austin, Indy, and Miller had attended her funeral - it had been the only time Austin had left Cottonwood since they had moved back.

"Drive carefully, Miller."

"Will do, see ya tomorrow," he says speeding off and Indy laughs softly to herself. Their home and the rest of the houses on the ranch will be full soon with family and friends. She had met Ayla and Birdy when they came for Olivia's wedding and she is looking forward to seeing them again. Lara, Lucy, and Julie are on their way up too. They will be here tonight. It's all very exciting and leads to a big wedding.

She takes a basket and heads into the grocery store, grabs the things she needs, and heads to the checkout. She wants to get home as soon as possible. There are only two people in front of her but, still, the line feels too long.

"Indy..."

Indy spins around, her eyes widening slightly. "Beth..." she whispers. She no longer looks as sad and hurt as Indy remembers from the last time she saw her. She has a rosy glow to her and she looks happy.

"How...how are you?" Indy asks. Part of her wants to hide her hand behind her back to not hurt Beth by seeing her ring, but that would do nobody any good. "I am doing well, thank you. Congratulations to you and Austin on the birth of your baby. My mama says she is a happy healthy girl with bright eyes and a sunshine smile," Beth says, her smile sweet. Indy smiles too at the mention of how sweet her Hazel is. "She is as stubborn as an ox too," Indy says. "Ah, yes, the family trait," Beth says and they both laugh softly.

"You are gettin' married tomorrow, congratulations...sorry...I sound like I am watching your life, I am not."

"I have learned how news travels in a small town. Besides, your mother is coming to our wedding."

Beth nods. "The whole town is," she says and then smiles at a very handsome man who walks up and stands by her side. He looks like he stepped out of a high-powered office with his crisp blue suit on and he has kind eyes. "Indy, this is Harry. My fiance," Beth introduces them, her eyes have a dreamy look to them. She is in love. "Pleased to meet you, Indy," Harry says shaking her hand. "You too," Indy says. "You are both welcome to attend the wedding," Indy offers. She had not sent out invitations. Out here everyone just attends a wedding when it is announced. She had not expected Beth to attend as she thought it may be too painful for her, but the woman has moved on and looks all the better for it. "Thank you, Indy. I appreciate the offer, but we need to head back to Texas. Harry needs to get back to his office, we are on our way out. But, next time we are in town I would love to meet up for a drink, maybe meet your sweet little girl," Beth says.

"Yes. Yes, that would be great. She would adore you. You...you look really happy, Beth."

"I am. Harry is who I was made for all along. I don't think I have ever been happier," she says with a wide smile. She gives Indy a gentle hug and then turns with Harry to walk down an aisle. Indy watches her blush and giggle when Harry draws her a little closer and kisses her cheek as they walk off. She is happy for Beth and can see Harry is just as captivated by her and their future together as she is. It's a good thing.

"Ma'am," the cashier calls her attention. "Oh! Sorry, I was daydreaming," Indy says with a laugh as she unpacks her groceries. "You are marrying Cottonwood. I would be daydreaming too," the cashier says with a grin. Indy nods and grins back. She is on top of the world and will only be higher come tomorrow.