The Mountain Calls

Indy is staring at Austin as if he has lost his dam mind. Because he has. She has never ridden a horse and now here he stands on day three of her being on the ranch and suggesting she climb on the horse he has saddled for her.

"Come on, darlin', she is gentle and I will be by your side the whole time. Trust me, you will love it."

"But...but, I have never ridden a horse."

"I will teach ya."

"They scare me..."

"Everythin' is a little scary at first."

Indy sucks in her lips and looks at the horse. It's pretty. It has a coat that looks like caramel and she is smallish. But, still big. She shakes her head. She is not trying to be a pain, but she had never even seen a real horse until she came here - it's a lot to take in. "Probably for the best. I have broken every bone in my body at one time or another from falling off a horse," Ace says as he walks past slowly on his horse. Indy's eyes widen and she takes a step back. "Not helpful, Ace!" Austin shouts over his shoulder then looks back at Indy.

"He was just jokin'."

"Really?"

Now Austin sucks in his lips. "No," he says then grimaces.

"I thought you didn't lie."

"I am human, darlin', I slip up from time to time."

Indy stares at him and then shakes her head. "I am really scared...could we try tomorrow rather? Please?" she asks. Austin sighs, but he has a soft smile on his lips. He is so patient with her. "Ok, baby," he says. Storm hits him on his back with his nose. "Do ya mind? I am talkin' here," Austin says then looks back at Indy. "Tomorrow," he confirms. Storm hits him in his back again. "Will ya stop that? You are pissin' me off. Not everything is about you," he says and again looks back at Indy. "We have work to do on the ranch, I will take you in my truck."

"I can drive your truck, you ride Storm."

"No, you ride with me. Go get your Stetson, darlin'."

Indy feels bad now. Austin looks so happy when he rides Storm and she is taking that away from him. Yesterday he drove his truck back from the waterfall while Storm ran next to them. It had looked and felt wrong. But, she just can't find the courage today. She will force herself tomorrow. So she nods and turns to walk inside but jumps a little when Storm lets out a loud sigh and then trots around them and stops in front of her. What's happening?  She takes a few steps back and bumps into Austin's chest. "Darlin'...I know you are scared, but trust me, ok?" he asks. Indy frowns and then looks at him. He is watching Storm with a careful eye. She does trust him. More than anyone in this world.

"Storm is offerin' for you to ride him."

Indy's mouth drops open at that. There is no fucking way she is doing that. The other horse is a quarter of the size of Storm and she was scared - the thought of riding Storm petrifies her. She would never be able to control him, she would never even be able to get on him. He is so big. "I won't force ya, Darlin', but how about you meet him officially and we take it from there," Austin says. Ok, that does not sound so bad even though she is not sure what he means by meet him. But, she has let Austin down enough today so she gives him a little nod.

He takes her hand and pulls her gently to Storm's head. He is huge and very intimidating.

"H-how do I meet him?"

"Just do what comes naturally. There are no rules," he says from behind her softly. Indy stares at the underside of Storm's jaw and then watches as he slowly lowers his head until they are eye to eye. Her mouth opens a little in shock. All the horses she has seen have black eyes. Just little black balls. But, Storms are different. They are blue. A bright stormy blue that swirls around a black pupil and it feels like she is staring into the eye of a perfect storm. She can also see a softness in them that promises to be careful with her. She feels safe with him. He lifts his head slightly again and she remembers she is meant to be meeting him but she can't talk. What does she say?