Values

Assembly is usually boring. Just mundane information that could be shared via an email or school website. Indy supposes the headmaster enjoys the power of holding the whole school captive for thirty minutes. But, today is a little different as well as eye-opening for Indy. The headmaster skips over groaning about school regulations and expectations, jumping right into sports analogies and the importance of school spirit all rolled into the importance of supporting the school football team. He announces that over half the school budget is solely for the football team, that parents in the community have ongoing fundraisers, and that the school as a whole is expected to take part. He also makes it very clear that there are big expectations for the football team and even bigger expectations for the individual players. According to him, this year will be the start of many of the player's dreams coming true with College scholarships as well as NFL contracts in all of their futures.

At the very center of all this is one very special man. Austin. The new football coach will lead not only the school but the entire town to victory and ultimately make history in the world of football. Most of the teachers, students, and the headmaster turn to look at Austin who remains cool and relaxed at the back of the hall - they all have stars in their eyes. She hears excited chattering and looks over at Jeremy who is sitting with the rest of the football team. They all look like they have woken up this morning to a world that will allow for their dreams to become a reality. Indy hopes Austin can deliver on all the promises the headmaster is making, he sure looks confident that he can if the bored look on his face is anything to go by. She is glad she does not have that pressure on her, she would crumble.

The assembly is finally called to an end and the now very excited students start filing out along with the teachers who look just as excited. Indy thinks Julie, Lucy, and Lara are more excited about lunch break where they hope to eat lunch with the new football coach with the hopes of testing his truck seats out. His truck is humongous so she thinks there is a lot of space without the seats having to go all the way back. Why is she thinking about this? Her blood runs cold suddenly and her only response is to freeze when she sees Luke making a beeline toward her. She does not want to talk to him and she does not want to make a scene with all these students around. She can't run off because there is a jam of people in the doorway. She has no idea what to do, she is trapped.

Austin pops into her sight, planting himself between her and Luke. "Go," he mouths sternly at her. She spins and high-tails it out of the hall, squishing between bodies and rushing off to her classroom. She has never been more thankful for someone. Austin has been so kind to her, she should do something nice for him. She knows if he had was not around she would have Luke in her face and still living in her house.

Her class is buzzing with the excitement of the news for their football team and Indy has a tough time trying to settle them. But, they eventually calmed down somewhat and she can start her lesson. Half the football team is in her class and the other half is in Luke's class. She can see the football boys are trying their best to follow along as she speaks but their heads are just not in it.

"How about...we do something different today?" she eventually announces. They all groan. Teenagers always think the worst. "Now calm down. I think you will enjoy it," she says. They groan again but she has their attention. "I want you all to get into two teams. There are tons of objects in the back cupboard, grab what you need and then go down to the football field. I want each team to build an obstacle course," she says. The students cheer and divide themselves up then attack the cupboard and pull what they think they will need. "Rules! There are rules!" she shouts as loudly as her soft voice will let her before they can all rush out. "Your obstacle course needs to be twenty meters long. One obstacle needs to be ten kgs in weight and one obstacle needs to hold the weight of an adult. The rest is up to you. You may go," she says. They rush out and disappear down the hall. She laughs to herself, that will keep their minds busy and they will learn something without even realizing it.