Running Away

Indy wakes up alone again. It's Sunday - another sleep-in day for her, but another day Austin is up early jogging around the neighborhood. She sits up looking at her side table and smiles. There is a mug of coffee there and a note just like yesterday. The coffee will be cold, but it's the sentiment she loves. She reaches over and picks up the note.

Be dressed by the time I get back.
We have plans today.
Your coffee is still hot.

Indy frowns at his words. Then looks over at the coffee mug. She touches the side and frowns again. It is hot. She lifts the mug and sees a coaster under it with an electrical cord. A heated coaster to keep her coffee hot while she sleeps? Is that why he went to the shop yesterday? Was this what was in the brown bag? His solution to her coffee going cold was not to moan at her or refuse to make her coffee anymore but to rather go into town and find something that would keep her coffee hot so she could drink it when she decided to wake up. She gets a lump in her throat, but it's not because she is sad. It's because she had never had anyone be so thoughtful toward her. It's an amazing feeling.

She throws off the bed covers and pulls on her pajamas, turns the coaster off then rushes over to her house with her hot coffee in hand. She showers, without the worry of Miss Daisy crashing into the shower, and then hops out and dries herself. She has no idea what Austin has planned but she is sure she can't go wrong with simple jeans and a T-shirt. She has never had anyone plan a day just for her, she has never had anyone make her a central focus, or give her as much attention as Austin has since he met her. It excites her. She stares at her bed for a moment then her cupboard, she does not want to sleep here again. Not without Austin anyway. It is premature and reckless on her part but she pulls out a bag and throws some clothes into it, along with some essential toiletries. Once satisfied with what she has packed, she zips up her bag, grabs her now empty coffee cup, and walks back to Austin's house.

She is not going to overthink this, but she would be lying if she said she wasn't a little nervous. She is practically moving in with him uninvited.

He is busy in the kitchen when she walks in and he stops what he is doing to look at her. His eyes dart to the bag in her hand, it's a large bag, and she holds her breath. He walks over to her slowly then takes the bag from her. "Your coffee was still hot when you woke up?" he asks. "Yes...thank you. That was sweet of you," she says, still a little nervous. "You are welcome, sugar," he says leaning down to kiss her cheek. "I am going to put your bag in the room. You can unpack it when we get back," he says then turns and walks off to the bedroom. Well, that's  that, she guesses. Indy waits for him to disappear and then she screams silently and does a little Irish jig. She feels like she is on top of the world.

When a person experiences a broken heart and someone new comes along they fix it over time, gluing it back together piece by piece. But, not Austin. He took her heart, all the broken pieces, and melted it in his warm hands then gave it back to her whole and stronger than it ever was.

She puts her coffee cup in the dishwasher and then looks at what he is busy with. It looks like he is prepping for something, the end of the world maybe? "What are we doing today?" she asks, holding up a bottle of water as he walks back into the kitchen.

"Well, darlin', you ever thought of just running away?"

"All the time."

"Would you like to run away with me? Just for the day?"

"Yes."

"Come on then," he says taking the bottle of water and placing it back in the cooler. Then he picks it up and holds out his hand to her. She takes it. She does not know where they are going and she does not care. She will be with him and that's all she cares about.