Bullet To The Chest

Indy steps out of her classroom and stops, closing her eyes and turning her face to the sun. The heat is a welcome feeling after the long cold winter they have just endured. She had never been in snow and so when it had first fallen she had been excited. But, after a few weeks of constant cold and wet snow, her excitement had worn off. She had not hated it, especially when Austin had made a bed in front of the wood fire for them to camp out in front of during the coldest nights. But, now summer had returned and the sun offered the same warmth Austin's arms always do.

"Bye, Miss Gold," one of the girls calls out as she pulls herself up onto her horse and trots off with her friends to do their ranch duties, no doubt. Life in Cottonwood is very different from Pasadena. She has never been happier. She and Austin had finished the year out and then moved up to Cottonwood. She had been three months pregnant when they had finally come home. They moved into the house Jimmy had built for Evelyn while Austin was busy building a home they had drawn up together. It sits close to the mountain with the river running behind it and is something she thought she could only dream of. It has special floors, a wide passage, and extra large rooms - just to accommodate Lucky...their house cow.  She absolutely does not go on any cattle runs. Austin had worked on the house day and night. She had tried to help but he had gotten cranky with her and preferred for her to stay out of harm's way.

Jimmy had helped and so had Matty so Indy had bided her time with Evelyn who always has time for her and tells her at least twice a day that she is very much loved. The house had been completed a week before Hazel was due and when the time came around for Indy to give birth, she pushed that baby out right in the middle of their brand-new lounge. Hazel had made a stubborn entrance into this world, making Indy and Austin work all night. The entire family camped out on the front lawn and were ready and waiting when Austin informed them that Hazel was not only a spitting image of her great-grandmother but just as feisty.

Evelyn had announced soon after Hazel's birth that she was stepping down as rancher and handing the reins over to Austin, who now everyone calls Cottonwood instead of Texas. Evelyn is now his adviser and goes between riding by his side, fussing over her granddaughter, or her children. She helps Burt and Josh on their ranch too. Olivia and Josh got married just after the first winter snow, Olivia had wanted a winter wedding and Cottonwood had delivered a spectacular winter wonderland for her. Her wedding was beautiful and was a massive celebration. Lilith and Burt had cause for celebration too when they announced their pregnancy and you best believe the family had yet another massive celebration.

Indy's life is full and she is content. There is nothing she is missing and when she applied for a teaching position at the local school and got it she felt like the last piece of her life had fallen into place. She and Austin had decided to get married the summer after Hazel was born - which just so happens to be this very summer. Tomorrow to be exact so she needs to get home and start preparing. She gets into her car and heads to the grocery store to pick up a few bits and pieces. When she pulls into a parking spot and climbs out of her car she hears someone call out her name and press their horn.

"Afternoon, ma'am!"

She turns and sees Miller hanging out of his truck. Miller had followed them to Cottonwood. He wanted to be a rancher and insisted there would be no one better to teach him than Austin. Austin had put him through the ringer and Indy had, had to clean him up a few times, poor kid. But, he had been persistent and eventually surprised himself with how much grit he had. Indy had heard Evelyn whisper to a nodding Austin that the boy had rancher blood in him. Miller will be to Austin what Ace was to his grandfather. Austin had inherited not only his grandfather's looks and spirit but his sixth sense for knowing things too. He knew Miller was a rancher since the first time Indy had pointed him out.