i know you

age: 17
word count: 1,3k
background info: okay so I know that this doesn't make any sense time line wise but we'll just pretend that it does lmao. So you're Nat's daughter and Nat and you just fled from the Red Room so now you're on the run. Let's also pretend that it wasn't just Clint who came for Nat but a whole team
(the dialogue in cursive is in russian)
————

"Eat." Natalia commands holding a piece of bread out to you. The apartment was quiet, the only sound being the soft chewing of food. Outside of the apartment on the other hand was the hectic life of Budapest passing by. Cars rushing over the speed limit, horns honking because people are just so impatient (silently Natalia laughs about that, no one knowing how stressful life can be), bikers almost running over joggers on the narrow sidewalk, birds chirping, squirrels hopping across the city, trying to find a place to sleep and to hide their food.

Natalia breathes, never was it so quiet in her life, never did she eat that much bread for breakfast. She watches your red hair shimmer in the sunlight, watches as happiness flashes over your soft features as the taste of food slowly settles into you, watches how your eyes snap to hers in a silent question. "Aren't you going to eat?" It's a simple question, a simple answer, but nothing is easy these days, nothing was ever easy for her, or for you. "You take it" she instead says "No" you insist, not accepting your mother's refusal, she needs to eat as much as you do.

When your mother takes the bread to her mouth you give her a satisfied smile and slouch back into your chair slightly. It's weird, slouching back into the chair, you never did that before, you never were allowed to. You enjoy this, this freedom, the bread in the morning, the soup in the evening, it's simple but it's food, more than you've ever had before. Natalia even brought chocolate back home a couple days ago, she said all people love it so you'll try it too- it was the most delicious thing the two of you ever ate.

The Red Room wasn't big on "treats", their treats were a second slice of dry bread in the morning or an extra scoop at dinner, not that you ever ate breakfast and dinner on the same day, and don't even get started on lunch.

"I got a job today" your mom informs you, you look up, looking into her forest green eyes again "When will you be back?" you question, the question lingers, your mother hesitates "This evening. Promise."

She doesn't mention that she noticed that you don't want her to leave, that you don't want to be alone. Neither does one of you mention the tension that comes with the statement, both of you know that she isn't going to do a job, she's going to kill because that's the only thing the both of you can- kill, torture and seduce. You would help, Natalia knows, she knows that you're more than capable, but she doesn't want this for you, this life of killing and blood, and pain and guilt.

"Don't promise things you can't keep" you tell her and she smirks "I never do"

"It's an easy target, I'll be done quickly" she says and helps you put the dishes back.

Your mother's eyes snap to yours as a ruffling sound is heard from the floor above. A second later there's a bang and you barely have any time to react before your mother pushes you in the corner of the kitchen, protectively hovering before you, gun drawn out to the direction of the living room, where the ceiling crashed down a couple seconds before.

Cold metal is pressed into your hand, you realize it's a gun, knowing that, you know your mother is scared, she's scared for you. At the realization panic raises in your chest. What if the Red Room is here to take you back? What if you never get to see your mother again? What if that those four weeks were the only time you ever had with her? What if the Red Room will make you kill each other? What if-

"Y/n, breathe" Natalia instructs, noticing the flattening of your breathing. A second later the windows come crashing down, agents abseiling through them into the small apartment. Your mother reacts quickly, a bullet taking down the closest agents. "Natalia Romanova!" one shouts, rifles pointed at the two of you, you want to scream, shout, shoot, run, anything not to go back. You're pressed further into the corner of the room, not one way out of this situation, you're surrounded. You have no doubt that either of you could take out all of them, but if Natalia would move, she'd expose you to the barrels of the guns and she would rather die protecting you than offering you to them. The Red Room is a horrible place and you didn't deserve to go back there, anything to keep you safe.

"Natalia Romanova, stand down!" one shouts again "We're with SHIELD, lower your gun!".

SHIELD?

What the hell does that so super secret spy agency want?

"We're here to talk, we do so if you lower your gun" they say "Otherwise we'll take you out". Your mother snarls "Take me in, you're very funny" she resorts. "My name is Clint Barton" the weird guy with the arrow and the bow says- seriously though, who uses a bow these days? "If you stand down and come with us to America I maybe can arrange for you to work with the good guys for once"

"And why would I do that?" your mother smiles

"Because otherwise we will take you and your daughter out"

You notice the slight push into the wall your mother gives at the comment, but still her gun stays trained on the agents around her, so does yours. Suddenly arrow guy, Clint Barton, lowers his weapon, the others slowly follow behind.

"What keeps me from killing you?" your mother muses with a smirk "We've been watching you, you don't kill innocents anymore"

"You're not innocent though, you're putting my daughter in danger"

"Well maybe so, but we're offering you a way out and I very much think that you're more interested in that than our corpses"

-

The tension is thick in the quinjet, the constant humming of the plane painting a constant noise for you to focus on. You're pushed in the furthest corner of the plane, your mother right by your side, sensing the nervousness that rushes through your veins. "We're gonna be okay, my love" she hushes, her cuffed hands squeezing yours as she strokes her thumb across the back of your hand.

Suddenly Clint Barton is there, two bottles of water in his hands. He unscrews them and hands them to the two of you, your mother gives you a glare, silently telling you not to drink.

She takes a sip.

left

right

up

down

again

and again

She shallows before handing you bottle- no poison. Clint Barton raises a questioning eyebrow but your mother shuts him down with a glare. She then continues to test her own bottle of water for any kind of poison or drugs.

-

Over the hours you grew more tired and tired but sleeping in such a situation seems to be impossible- Natasha notices because of course she does.

She raises her cuffed arms, inviting you to sit in her lap. Clint Barton's hand finds his gun at the movement but is quick to realize the intention of the movement.

You settle against your mother and the puts her arms around you, protecting you from everyone who dares to come near you, to her dearest possession and the only reason that she's still alive.

"We're gonna be fine, it's gonna be okay. Go to sleep, love" she hushes before you're being lulled into the dark nothingness

————
it's after 4 am, please excuse my writing and all lmao