cigarettes & vapes

age: 17
word count: 1,5k
————

Clint's POV

Wow. I have no idea what y/n has done but wow. Natasha is furious. She just came out of the laundry room with something in her hand in a death grip.

"Y/N ROMANOFF!" she screams up the stairs "IF YOU DON'T GET YOUR ASS DOWN HERE IN THE NEXT TEN SECONDS SO HELP YOU GOD!". One can practically see the steam coming out of her ears, what the heck did y/n do!? Natasha turns into the kitchen pacing up and down behind the kitchen isle. I enter the kitchen behind her, not knowing if I have to safe her or y/n later on.

Seconds later I hear hurried footsteps rushing down the stairs but no one enters the room. "Kitchen!" Nat yells, her face burning red. Almost instantly my niece appears in the doorframe. She looks at me with a questioning eyes and I just shrug, not knowing what's gotten into her, too.

Natasha slams a package of cigarettes on the kitchen counter, making y/n and me jump. "Have you lost your mind!?" she shouts "What the hell were you thinking!?". Y/n starres at the cigarettes wide-eyed "Those- Those aren't mine" she stammers, utterly intimidated. "Yeah right and my name is Sarah" Nat hisses, her eyes burning daggers into y/n "Why are there cigarettes in your fucking hoodie y/n!?". "I like to look at them" y/n smiles slightly, hoping to lighten the mood.

"Don't you dare joke with me right now" Natasha yells, slamming her hand on the counter, making y/n flinch again. Her eyes meet mine, help me, they scream, but I have no idea what to do. "Natasha maybe you should-" I try "Shut your god damn mouth, Clint!" she shouts "This has nothing to do with you! So y/n why have you cigarettes!?" she repeats again.

Y/n gulps harshly and opens her mouth to say something before meeting her mother's eyes and closing it again. "Y/n for God's sake!!" Natasha urges, slowly losing her tempter. "Look Mom, I'm sorry, I just-" she starts "Oh my God! My daughter is a smoker, how great!! Where did I fail you!?" Natasha screams as y/n tears up. "Mom please, I-I-" y/n stammers, tears welling out of her eyes, running down her cheeks. "No! Go to your room!" Natasha instructs

"But Mom-"

"I said go to your room!"

Y/n turns around, leaves the kitchen and runs up the stairs to her room, a sob leaving her mouth ever so often.

"Nat, don't you think you were a little harsh on-" I say, she spins around looking me dead in the eyes. Yes, she is a lot shorter than me, but heaven she's intimidating, those glares she can give you makes you wanna run. "Okay, okay, I'm leaving" I whisper slipping out of the kitchen a second later.

-

"Y/n?" I ask, knocking on the bedroom door of my niece "It's Clint, can I come in?".

Even though I didn't hear a reply I still open the door, I know, privacy and stuff, but seriously that's not something I worry about right now. As I open the door completely I see y/n standing by an open window, a vape in her hand "Oh you have got to be kidding me" I exclaim making her jump. She turns around and looks at me in horror. "Give" I instruct holding my hand out "But Clint I-" she protests "Give it to me and I will keep this quiet" I raise an eyebrow at the offer, daring her to do something different. With a sigh she hands me the vape and looks at me shyly "Promise you won't tell mom?" she asks

"Promise"

I sit down on the chair in front of her desk and signal her to do the same on her bed, she obliges. "It really isn't smart to smoke when your mother just screamed you together because of it, you know" I say, her eyes lower to the floor. "Hey," I start, gaining her attention again "Nat is just worried, okay?"

"Doesn't seem that way" she huffs, avoiding my eyes again

"You're her little girl, everything she has" I explain "she doesn't want to lose you"

"Yeah well, I'm not her little girl anymore, I'm seventeen"

"I'm afraid you'll always be her little girl, y/n" I smile and she rolls her eyes "I'm serious, she just wants the best for you and smoking isn't healthy and you know that, so you can't blame her. I'm not saying that it was okay for her to scream at you like that, because it wasn't, but especially a sensitive theme like that, hit close to her heart and I want you to understand that"

Suddenly she looks up at me with curious eyes "Why is smoking a sensitive theme for her?"

"Oh shit" I mumble, realizing that I just revealed one of Nat's secrets that she never wanted y/n to know. "If I tell you this you will keep this for yourself, otherwise you will never see me again because Nat kidnapped me to Russia"

Now I have her attention and the smug smile on her face doesn't feel good at all. Here we go then.

"I'm gonna leave details out, though, you don't need to hear that, okay?" I say and she nods "Alright then, I think the first cigarette she smoked, well was forced to smoke, was something around the age of twelve then it happened more and more and after she escaped from, you know, she fell into the habit, it got to the point where she smoked a little more than a package a day, it was insane, really. So now she's just scared for you to go down the same road, you understand?"

"Wow," y/n mumbles "weren't it that heartbreaking I would've used that against her"

"Y/n, I'm serious, don't tell her I told you or otherwise our 'keep the vape thing quiet'-deal is off. Speaking of which, I think you should give me the rest of them before your mom comes sneaking through your room" I tell her

"She wouldn't do that, she never did" y/n tells me. "You sure? Because she's worried shitless right now"

"Fine" she says and scrambles through her room before handing me four more vapes

"Thank you" I tell her honestly "and talk to your mom"

Just a second after that sentence left my mouth there's a knock on the door and Natasha enters the room. "I'll leave you two alone, then" I say, exiting the room a couple moments later.

Y/n's POV

Even though I know now that mom is just worried I'm still a little scared of the following conversation. "Can I sit?" mom asks, signalling for the spot next to me "Sure" I whisper and melt into her touch as she takes my hand in hers. I hate fighting with her.

"I'm sorry" I mumble, not daring to look into her eyes "Me too" she says

"I know I was too harsh earlier and I'm really sorry, sweetheart, my emotions just took over" she explains "I'm just worried about you". "I know, I'm sorry, too" I say "Can you tell me why you're doing it?" she asks "I don't know" I mumble "Yes you do, you can tell me, I promise I won't yell again" she reassures

"I guess, it's just sometimes- sometimes school is just so much and then I get stressed and am just in a bad mood- and one time I snatched a cigarette from someone and now every time I feel stressed or sad or anything I get this cravings to lit one and smoke. I know it doesn't make sense, I'm just a teen and school isn't as stressful as work and-" I ramble on "I'm gonna stop you right there," mom cuts in "you can get stressed as a teen, too, and don't you dare let anyone tell you school isn't stressful, you may not be working a job but school is your work and you spend six to eight hours there almost every day- that's stressful. I'm glad that you told me this so we can work on another solution because smoking isn't it, it really isn't worth it- trust me, I know, but I'm also glad that you aren't doing it to be cool, because smoking doesn't make you cool, smoking isn't cool. I'm gonna help you find healthier coping mechanisms, because as much as you want to I won't allow you to smoke. And you probably gonna need help with stopping and that's completely okay, because I will help you"

"Can I hug you?" I ask quietly

"Of course, you don't have to ask" she says, pulling me into a tight embrace