my brave girl

this is more of a Maria than a Nat oneshot because I miss her..
age: 7
word count: 1,2k
————

Maria's POV

"Come on, say bye to mama," I encourage my daughter as she sits on Nat's lap, cuddled into her arms "you'll see her later". "Don't wanna go to Bruce" y/n whines, burying her head in my wife's shoulder "I know, sweetheart, but check-up's are very important so that mama and I can know that you're healthy" I explain "But I am healthy!" she protests, clinging onto Nat's shirt more probably expecting for me to rip her away any second.

"Didn't you have a little cough lately?" I ask, flashing her a little grin

"No" she says, her lip starting to quiver lightly

"C'mere, baby" Nat says softly, repositioning y/n on her lap so that she's facing her "I know you don't like doctors, but mom is gonna be there the whole time, okay? It's gonna be fine". "I don't wanna go" y/n whispers "I know you don't, but mom is right here with you, she's gonna keep you safe" Nat tells her

"Why can't you come, too?" y/n asks quietly, lowering her gaze. "I'm sorry, baby" Nat apologies genuinely and presses a kiss to her scalp. And I know how bad she wants to come with y/n but she can't even look at a needle without getting a panic attack, so doctor visits with y/n are always my job. Natasha feels like shit leaving her daughter alone for this and it took me years to convince her that it's okay and that their 'cuddle time' afterwards helps y/n just as much.

"You want to go on mom's arms or do you wanna walk" Nat asks, already freeing herself of y/n's grip "Walk" she whispers, carefully climbing down her lap. "You want a hand?" I ask and y/n nods hurriedly which is why I took her hand in mine, give Nat one last kiss on her head, before guiding y/n down the hallway to the elevator.

-

Y/n is clinging onto my arms as we enter the medical center of the compound, more or less ready to get checked out. "'m scared" she whispers, pressing her body into mine, almost cutting the blood flow of my arm because she's gripping on it so hard. I take my free hand to place it on her head and turn it into my line of view "I'm right here, sweetheart, everything's fine" I reassure.

"Hey you two" Bruce greets us and signals for the examination couch in the middle of the room "Bruce" I greet, but stop right in front of the couch as y/n freezes and refuses to take another step. None less and against y/n's protests I sit down and watch Bruce do the same on one of the chairs that are standing around.

Y/n has a death grip on my hand but still refuses to move. "Do you want to sit on my lap? Then I could hold you again" I suggest and after a quick nod I do exactly that. I place one arm behind her back as she sits sideways in my lap and put my hand on her thigh to hold her in place. My other arm is finding it's way to her face, caressing her cheek as her bottom lip starts to quiver again "It's okay, no one's gonna hurt you" I tell her.

"Hello y/n" Bruce says, earning her attention "I'm gonna tell you what I am going to do, right?"

"Alright" he mumbles after y/n gave him a little nod

"I'm gonna draw some blood from your arm, it's just gonna prick a little" he explains. "Mommy," y/n whimpers, wrapping her arms around my waist tightly "don't wanna". "Hey, hey, it's okay, right? Mommy's right here" I shush "Mommy's right here"

"I'm gonna extend your arm now, sweetheart" I tell her, hoping to get this over as soon as possible- I don't have a problem with doctors but I have a problem with seeing my daughter in distress and pain.

After some coaxing and reassuring words I was able to pull up her sleeve completely and place her arm in a position in which Bruce can take the blood of her arm. "This is gonna be a bit cold, y/n" he warns before spraying some disinfectant on the crook of her arm.

As her comes back with a needle and is about to take her arm in his hand, she pulls back with a shriek. "Oh, baby," I sympathise, wiping the single tear that is rolling down her cheek "you're really scared, aren't you?" I ask and the look in her eyes gives me the answers right away. "Why don't you look at me and we let Uncle Bruce do his thing, yeah? You don't have to see it" I suggest and already push her arm out again. Obviously much more open to this, her eyes stay fixated on mine and out of the corner of my eye I can already see that Bruce has the needle in her arm. She's probably like Nat, much more scared of the view of a needle than the actual feeling of one.

"Done" Bruce announces "didn't hurt that much, did it?" he asks "A little" y/n says in a quiet manner. "You did so good, sweetheart, I'm so proud of you" I say, giving her a kiss

"Look, you get a pretty cool plaster" Bruce smiles at y/n while bandaging her up "Cars" y/n smiles widely, adoring her new accessories.

-

After Bruce finished the physical exam, such like weight, height, etc. and we're sure that y/n's completely fine, we're now heading back to Nat's and my room, ready to start our 'after-doctors' ritual.

"Hi mama" y/n announces happily after spotting her mother in bed with a book. The book already on the bedside table, Natasha opens her arms wide and y/n runs into them, snuggling into her chest as Nat's arms engulf her in a tight hug. I kick my shoes off and change quickly into some comfier pants before joining them in bed and cuddling up to their side.

Before anything happens further Nat sends me a worried glance and I know exactly what it means.

"She's fine" I say "and she did really good"

"Look at you, baby," Nat smiles, pulling her up slightly "my brave girl, I'm so proud of you, so so proud" she tells y/n, making her smile

"I got cars this time" y/n tells her mother excitedly "Oh wow, you're pretty badass now, you know" Nat chuckles and y/n's eyes grow wide "Mom, mama said a bad word" she exclaims and before y/n can continue talking Nat is tickling her sides, making her toss in her arms as loud laughter fills the room.

And those are the moments in which you realize that no matter how much shit you went through, there are always people out there who love and protect you. No matter who they are, where they live or where they're from, there are always people out there who count you as family. And if you found that family, let no one tell you how wrong your family is, let no one tell you that your love is wrong and that you're unnormal, let no one tell you that you can raise a child just because it doesn't have a dad or mom, let no one take your family away just because it doesn't fit the norm. I know how hard it is to accept that you're 'different' , but once you found peace with yourself you're gonna live happier than ever. And that's why I will protect my family with my life. I would die for Natasha. I would die for y/n. And I would do it proudly.

————
I originally planned on starting my new book this week but I somehow managed to break my goddamn jaw so writing isn't my first priority rn😭😭
(but the emergency orthodontist I went to looked exactly like Cobie and was extremely kind so it's fine lmao)