Chapter 10: Dean's POV

After dropping Jessica off at her dorm with her new coffees, I head back towards my car and silently pray that I have some spare clothes in my boot. My soaked pants are only making this cold autumn morning that much colder, and my balls are not pleased about it. I can't even be mad about the large brown stain covering the crotch of my trackies because the unexpected run in with Jessica was more than worth it.

I have to admit that last night was the most fun I've had in a long time, and I know she had a lot to do with it. Knowing that she has a boyfriend leaves a sour taste in my mouth and I need to keep reminding myself that she is off limits.

Once I can see the campus car park ahead, I jog the remaining distance and quickly rummage through the junk in my boot. I find a pair of old shin guards and my 6-year Chemistry book that I had lost, before finally finding a pair of green basketball shorts among the pile of crap in the boot. I really need to set aside time to clean my car.

I quickly scan the car park to make sure no one is in eyesight before wiping off my tracksuit bottoms and throwing on the shorts. They are not the most practical item of clothing I could wear but they will have to do, I don't have time to walk across to the other side of campus to my dorm.

I jump into the driver's seat and quickly start the engine. I connect my phone to Bluetooth and start-up Chase Atlantic's new album before putting the car in reverse and heading out of the car park. The hour drive back home flies by and it feels like 20 minutes has passed when I'm pulling up to my house.

Austin and Bella are playing football on the front lawn. They have dragged the deck chairs off the patio and have propped them up at opposite ends of the garden to act as goalposts. Austin is the first to notice my arrival and turns to give me a big wave just as Bella takes the ball from beneath him and races towards his goal. Austin shouts his outrage as he chases after her, but he isn't fast enough to stop her from striking a goal in between the deck chairs. She jumps around in celebration while Austin stands there fuming.

I laugh to myself as I get out of the car and head up the driveway. Austin comes storming over, his cute little face scrunched up in anger.

"Dean, that was not fair! You distracted me and made me lose!" he sulks.

"The games the game, my friend. Better luck next time." I tell him while patting his head.

"Dean! Did you see? I finally bet Austin at football!" Isabelle practically screams as she rushes at me wrapping her tiny arms around my waist.

"I did and what a goal! Well done, Bells." I say picking her up and spinning her around in a circle.

"You two are the worst." Austin mutters, heading towards the house.

"Not so fast, little man." I place Bella back on her feet before grabbing Austin from behind and sweeping him into a big hug. "I haven't gotten a proper welcome home yet."

"You've only been gone a week, stop being so dramatic." He says, clearly still annoyed about losing the game.

"He's really missed you, Dean. Said so last night."

"Bella!" Austin shouts in outrage.

"What? It's true, we all have."

Guilt hits me like a punch to the gut. I hate being away from my family and have missed them this last week too. I knew it was going to take some time to get used to me living away from home again after being here during the summer but hearing Bella confirm it still cuts deep.

"Well, I'm here now and will visit as much as I can." I promise, giving them a small smile and hoping to ease their minds a little.

I hear the front door opening, just as Mom sticks her head out.