Chapter 2: Dean's POV

This is bliss. Standing here on the coast of Albufeira, 2,000 miles away from all my problems. No nagging customers giving out about the table wait time at Francisco's, no coach breathing down my neck to improve my bench PB or 5km time, no assignments hanging over my head that need to be finished but there's no time to do them, and no screaming 6 year olds swinging out of my legs or pulling my hair. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my life and wouldn't change it for the world. I have the best mother who works way too hard to keep a roof over my and the twin's heads and I know how lucky I am to have them in my life. But it is nice to step away from the constant pressure of trying to balance everything in my life. When my dad died 3 years ago in a car accident, it shifted all our lives completely. It hit my mom hard. But having to raise two rowdy 3 year olds meant she couldn't wallow in her grief, and she managed to keep going. She is the strongest person I know. At the time of the accident, I was 17, just finishing up my 5th year of secondary school. Since that day, I've had to grow up very quickly. Mom had to take more shifts at the hospital to cover the bills, meaning my once free Saturday nights turned into babysitting. Francisco, a good friend of my dad's hired me a few months later. I started working after school most nights at his restaurant, mostly just scrubbing dishes and clearing tables, considering I had never worked a day in my life before. But I quickly learned the ins and outs of his business and have worked my way up throughout the years. My mom hates that I put the money I earn towards the bills, but she also knows that we need it to survive.

I was reluctant to go on this trip with my friends because I knew I would be leaving my mam alone for 10 days but was also delighted to spend time with my friends before college starts back in a few weeks. I'm going into my second year at Ridgeview University College. It's the most prestigious college in the country and costs a ton to attend each year. The only reason I'm there is due to my rugby scholarship which allows me to get my degree while playing for the college team and doesn't cost my mom a thing. I stick out like a sore thumb with my scuffed trainers and faded jeans, but I've found a tight-knit group who couldn't care less about how thick my wallet or how large my bank account is. My friends make the college experience a whole lot more bearable.

"Hunter! Hunt. Earth to Dean!" Connor shouts pulling me out of my daydream and back to the present. I've just missed the orange ping pong ball flying past my head which I could have easily hit if my mind hadn't been 2000 miles away and judging by the look on Noah, my table tennis partner's face, he is not happy with the score against us. Noah has always been a competitive player. It doesn't matter what sport we are playing, he makes it his mission to be the best. It makes him a damn good center. I met Noah on the first day of tryouts last year and could tell from the get-go he was serious about rugby. He had the same look about him that I saw in myself. A look that says this is my life, my future, and means I'll work my ass off to achieve it. From that day on we become fast friends and have been constantly competing on and off the rugby pitch.

"Hunt what's gotten into you? That's the third easy shot you've missed in the last 10 minutes" he scowls.

"If I didn't know any better, I'd think he'd lost his touch. Is this the day Dean Hunter finally loses?" Ryan says from across the table, sharing a smirk with Noah. "I'm just tired" I mutter, "Let's go do a lap, see what this party's about" brushing off the conversation.

Noah had heard about this party earlier this morning from a waitress he was chatting up at the cafe. Unfortunately, she had forgotten to mention it was a white party. So here we are, four guys dressed in a rainbow of colours in a sea of white clothing. I stick out the most in my bright red graphic t-shirt and blue-washed jean shorts.

This party is very different from the few house parties I've attended back home. They are usually packed full of teenagers who smell of a mixture of cheap cologne and sweat, everyone is always crammed into the house with the overflow spilling out into the back garden and the most popular rap songs are played all night on repeat until one of the neighbours calls the police and has it shut down. Tonight, the vibe is a lot calmer, with tea lights hanging from trees and running along the edge of the pier. 'BORNS- Electric Love' plays from a speaker propped up beside a raging campfire where several couples are cuddled up on blankets nearby and some people have even decided to go for a swim near the pier and are jumping off a wooden raft that has been anchored into the seabed. We head over to a keg near the campfire, and each fill up a plastic red cup.