☆Understanding- Kris & Frisk

Plot: Kris mulls over his existence as a protagonist, without will or consent to his actions. Frisk is the only person who can understand him and comfort him

Extra Info: Kris is mute, and Frisk is verbal

Requested By: CalysisProductions

~☆~

Kris lies in bed just staring up at the bunk bed above him. He was surprised that he was even able to do this today, he always assumed he wouldn't have free will to do anything he wanted at all. Not that lying in bed all day was his main idea for having free will, but he really didn't know what to do. If he did do something, he would most likely just have to stop halfway through just to do what the player wanted.

He hated this; he hated being a protagonist. Every day he wished he could just be normal like everyone else, just background characters that could do whatever they wanted whenever they wanted. Sure, he would rather shoulder this burden if it meant that someone he loved wouldn't have to go through this hell, but he was so sick of this. It's not like he could talk about it either. Who could he talk to? There isn't anyone who would understand!

He sighed and rolled onto his side, pulling the blanket up over his head. Maybe this is all that he wanted to do after all. Maybe being alone was the life he was made to live. It was time he accepted that.

He lied there for what seemed like forever until he heard the bedroom door creak open. Was Mom coming to force him out of bed? Was Asriel here for another surprise visit? Or was it Frisk coming to grab something before going back out to do whatever they wanted? Kris honestly didn't care what the answer was, it's not like he was going to get out of bed anyway. At least, that's what he thought.

He felt the bed dip down a bit next to him, followed by a familiar voice.

"Kris? Are you awake?"

Frisk...

He didn't really want to just to make Frisk go away, but he would just feel bad about it all day, so he decided to just get this over with.

He flipped onto his back, pulling the blanket down below his hands to sign. "What do you want?" He wasn't being harsh, and Frisk knew that.

"Just checking. You don't really nap all of the time, so I wanted to make sure you were okay and not dead or something," they said, followed by a small laugh.

"Well, I'm very much alive, so did you need something else or were you going back out?" Kris asked, honestly getting tired of responding and wanting to just put his hands down and ignore them, but he couldn't do that to his younger sibling, it would just feel wrong.

Frisk smiled and lied down next to him, copying exactly how he was lying. "Nah, I think I'll hang out with you instead today." They looked over at their brother, immediately noticing the look on his face. Something was wrong. "Are you okay?"

He lifted his hands once more. "I'm fine."

They glared at him, "no you're not, don't lie to me. What's up?"

He looked away from them but responding anyway. "You wouldn't understand."

"Don't go all angsty teenager on me, I don't want you falling into that phase." Kris smiled a bit, the first smile he has given in a long time. "Anyway, I can at least listen even if I don't understand."

Kris sighed, "fine." He turned over a bit so he could sign more effectively. "I'm what you'd call a protagonist, like the ones in video games. I guess I'm just thinking about how I basically have no free will anymore. No control over what I say or do. It's frustrating!"

"You want to do one thing, but player makes you do another. I get it," Frisk said, causing Kris to take a pause. Frisk took one look at his face and immediately knew what he was thinking. "I was a protagonist too, for another world called Undertale. It was before I got here, and it was an absolute nightmare. Player had the choice to make me go through pacifist or genocide routes, and-"

"They reset and make you do it all over again?" Kris finished, happy that Frisk was looking over at him when they were talking. "I'm guessing that you've seen it all. Saving everyone, killing everyone. Every line of dialogue repeating over and over again. If I spoke, I could repeat every word as they said it."

"It's not like they'd remember it anyway, because it would all be reset in the end. And every day you live in constant terror of when they'd just log in and move you around again." Frisk added.

Kris smiled, "I didn't think I'd ever find someone who understood...I if anyone did, I would've never expected it to be my little sibling."

Frisk chuckled, both them and Kris getting comfortable once again.

Both of them were quiet for a while, and Kris was in a way better mood than before. He didn't really have anything else to say either. He was just happy that he could turn to Frisk after every reset and every time he gained free will again. He wasn't alone anymore.

"Y'know, you'd probably be a lot happier down here if you had some decorations," Frisk said.

They had a point, there wasn't a shade of color in his bunk, even though he had the perfect area to at least put some lights up. Frisk reminded him every time to put something else down here besides a wave of angsty teen and despair, but he was too lazy to do anything about it.

"I know!" Frisk said, quickly getting up and crawling up from Kris's bed to their own. It didn't take them long to find what they wanted before crawling back down to Kris's bed. They lied down next to him, and he was finally able to see what they had in their hand, a pack of glow in the dark stars in a variety of colors and another bag of red string lights. "I didn't know what to do with these when Asriel gave them to me, so now we can decorate down here!"

Kris smiled and rolled his eyes before taking the pack of glow stars from Frisk. While they hung up the string lights, Kris just lied on his back and hung up the glow stars in random spots, which actually looked good with the variety of sizes they were. He was happy with it.

When Frisk finished hanging the lights up, they plugged them in to make sure they worked. Soon enough, Kris's bunk was filled with a red hue. It wasn't super bright, but bright enough that he was able to see what he was doing when Frisk turned the bedroom light off.

"I think we should add one final touch," Frisk said, dragging Kris out of his bed and pushing him out the door. "Go get some snacks and drinks for us, I'm putting something up." Kris was in no position to argue, so he just complied and went downstairs.

By the time he came back up, Kris was granted access to the room once more and was shocked by what Frisk did. They made a curtain for his bunk.

"It's so you can hide whenever you're upset, and so your bunk can match mine, just with darker colors. Do you like it?"

Kris smiled, walking over to Frisk and putting the snacks on his bed. He moved the curtain back and forth a few times to make sure it wouldn't fall before turning to Frisk.

"I love it." Frisk's eyes lit up and they immediately pulled Kris into a tight hug. Kris smiled and hugged back. Once they let go, Kris signed to them again. "Why did you do this for me?"

Frisk smiled, "so you had a happy place to go whenever player makes you feel bad. You can close the curtain when you want to be alone and open it when you want me to hang out! It's your way of talking without actually talking or signing."

Kris ruffled Frisks hair, "thanks."

Yeah, he wasn't alone anymore, and he was perfectly happy with that.