Chapter 11: Forewarnings

Only five minutes had passed since we crossed the gates of Mythril Haven.

We continued our walk, the fading sunlight casting long shadows on the grassy ground.

"Arisu. Please explain what those glistening lights were."

Kei turned to a genuinely confused-looking Arisu, suspicion evident in his gaze.

"Why are you asking me? I don't know anything."

Arisu shrugged her shoulders as she denied knowing anything.

This was all I needed to figure out that they both saw those lights.

"I know you're not telling the truth, Arisu."

"But I actually have no idea..."

"Then, Kei, tell me what you saw."

"The same as Arisu, shimmering lights."

I knew they weren't lying. As I knew what the lights were, I couldn't really blame them.

"Oh well, whatever."

I just decided to leave it. However, Kei didn't let it go.

"Arisu, you are a master of Light Alchemy. Your very being radiates the essence of light. So, if you're not familiar with those mysterious lights, it's safe to say they must be something monumental."

Arisu sighed, feeling a mixture of frustration and curiosity. Kei had a point: she was someone with the ability to manipulate light; it would be strange that she couldn't identify the source of those lights.

"Arisu."

She turned towards me, curious and a bit surprised at my sudden interruption of our contemplative silence.

I looked forward; my eyes were seduced by the fascinating land ahead of me.

"Those lights... they weren't just a random phenomenon."

"You know something for once?"

Kei's sudden turn towards me caught my attention. I noticed the slight furrow on his brow and the way his eyes flickered.

"Yes, in fact. I do."

"Well, tell us then!"

Arisu seemed a bit curious-no, very curious-to know what the lights were. I glanced at the horizon and remarked cryptically, letting the anticipation linger in the air.

"It might be showing up soon."

Kei and Arisu exchanged puzzled glances, curiosity etched on their faces.

"Well, that's cryptic."

Arisu turned around and began walking again, as if this conversation never happened in the first place.

Kei shrugged it off. And I wondered why it was coming again. I doubted it was to guide me, and confusion began stirring in me.

A few more minutes of walking and talking passed, and I noticed something different about the path we took.

"Arisu, is this the same path we took to get to Mythril Haven? It seems different."

"No, it's not. It's the faster path you all wanted so badly."

"Really? It doesn't seem very fast."

"It's fast for me."

Arisu looked confident for a reason only she could answer. I, however, noticed some animals, or monsters, far ahead of our path.

I had hoped that Arisu wouldn't notice them, as that would be irritating.

She did.

"Ooh look! Animals!"