Chapter 9: Outside the Village

[ONE WEEK LATER]

As I gazed into the rising sun and the golden horizon, I heard the oddly familiar and enthusiastic footsteps of Arisu. The warm hues of dawn played across her features, and her eyes flashed with anticipation.

"Lyssa!" She called out, "Follow me; I want to talk about something!"

I turned around to see her sprinting at me at high speeds. Her hand was high in the air while a bright, radiant orb hovered on her palm.

She really wanted my attention.

"Why, may I ask?"

I narrowed my eyes in apprehension, all while attempting to sound ordinary.

"Come on, it's something new! And fun!"

Her hair waved as she eventually arrived beside me. She put on an optimistic smile as she pulled on my arm while walking back.

After a while of pulling, we arrived at her home, where Kei was sitting on a rigid chair and drinking some foreign beverage.

"So you brought her too?"

He sounded a bit pleased about that but also irritated, presumably at Arisu, though.

Arisu grinned, her energy unfazed by Kei's subtle irritation. "Of course I did! Lyssa, you'll love it, I promise!"

"Arisu," I began, "what's this 'new' and 'fun' thing you're so eager about? It better not be flying blades this time."

"Oh, it isn't flying knives this time."

Arisu's grin turned into a normal smile. Something rare, which usually meant something normal, was truly going to happen.

Arisu took a seat on one of the wooden chairs opposite Kei and motioned for me to sit down on the third between the two.

"We're going to go on an adventure!"

Arisu exclaimed enthusiastically as she leapt up from the chair she sat in just moments ago.

The room silenced itself for a few seconds not long afterwards; Kei glimpsed at her as if she were jesting—which she wasn't, by the way—and narrowed his eyes.

"Why?"

Arisu's eyes sparkled with even more excitement. "Lyssa's been stuck in her own bubble for too long. And I thought we should go on an adventure together to show her what the outside world's like."

Kei's eyes widened; it was clear he wasn't anticipating that response from someone like her.

"An adventure, you say?"

"Exactly! We're going to venture into the unknown, discover hidden treasures, and make memories that'll last a lifetime."

I could see Kei's curiosity piqued despite his initial reluctance, his stoic facade cracking just a bit.

The corners of his lips tugged upward ever so subtly, a glimmer of intrigue in his eyes. It was a rare sight, for Kei rarely showed any emotion beyond indifference, but Arisu's proposal had managed to elicit a spark of interest and a hint of excitement.

"Where do you have in mind?"

"It's... a secret!"

A mischievous glint danced in Arisu's eyes as she playfully winked, a subtle yet vibrant gesture that added a touch of whimsy to the atmosphere.

Kei and I exchanged glances; a brief, shared exchange transpired, an unspoken dialogue that needed no words.

"How dangerous is this? Is there any information or guidance we should be aware of? Is there