Chapter 2: Unanticipated Accusations

"Are you ready yet?" I heard my mother shout from the main entrance. I despised wearing fancy clothing-the tight corsets, the heavy skirts, and the restricting shoes. But it was a societal obligation, especially for someone of my status.

I glanced at my reflection once more, fixing my black hair. My form was accentuated by the tight corset, but I couldn't help cursing the stifling heat it brought.

Taking a deep breath, I walked to the grand oak door in the room and gradually opened it, stealing a quick peek into the hallway to ensure no prying eyes were upon me.

The ornate chandeliers above cast soft golden lights, their glimmers reflecting off the polished floors.

Satisfied that no one was watching, I made my dash through the corridors, the weight of my skirt rustling with every hurried step, leading me straight to the entrance-where, predictably, everyone had gathered.

I mentally chided myself for the oversight. So much for my escape plan.

"Took you long enough!" Amara berated, crossing her arms as I entered. My brothers' gazes fell on me, each pair displaying varying degrees of frustration.

I rolled my eyes, brushing past them toward the exit, where Mother and Father stood dressed in their elegant silken garments, "Whatever, I'm going now."

I had almost made my way out before Mother's voice beckoned me, "Lyssa, wait a moment."

I froze in my tracks, biting my lower lip.

Slowly turning around, Mother's gaze bore into mine. She sighed, her features softening, "This ceremony is extremely important, so try to behave yourself."

Her gaze then became stern, and my throat ran dry as she added, "Do you understand?"

I could only nod in response. She sighed again, this time her gaze filled with exasperation as she waved goodbye to me. Only Amara and Lorian joined in waving goodbye.

With that, I waved goodbye, exiting the manor as the servants bowed before me.

Stepping down the grand staircase, the townspeople had gathered, all eyes on me as I made my descent. My brother Lorian and sister Amara flanked my side, helping me navigate my way through the masses.

Upon reaching the bottom of the staircase, I was given a plethora of gifts, ranging from fine jewellery to intricate weapons and clothing, and even exquisite wines.

After weaving our way through the crowd, our convoy of horses and carriages was already waiting for us at the front gate.

The carriage attendant greeted us and opened the door, allowing us to enter. I waved one final goodbye to my family as I set off onto the main street.

"See you later!" Amara gave a sympathetic smile, while Lorian simply waved back with a faint smile.

As the carriages began moving, I gazed outside the window, marvelling at the vibrant colours that decorated the kingdom streets.

I closed my eyes, resting my head against the smooth interior as I enjoyed the ambience of the kingdom. The cheerful chatter, the bustling market stalls, and the sounds of nature-it would have been better if it wasn't so hot.

The carriage, swathed in the insignias of the Anastasia family, glided through the main street, which was lined with awe-struck onlookers.

Whispered praises, coupled with the occasional cheer, reached my ears, affirming the respect our family had cultivated over the years.

The journey continued for what felt like hours. The townsfolk dwindled as we approached the castle, its towering spires casting long shadows as the sun made its descent. The castle, with its ornately carved walls and guarded gates, was a testament to the grandeur and might of the kingdom.