Chapter 4: Public Execution

Slowly, my eyes creaked open.

The oppressive darkness of the cell immediately closed in on me, and memories of the confrontation surged forward.

"This wretched cell..." I thought bitterly.

Tugging slightly, I felt the ropes binding me once again to the pole.

Dark, intricate symbols, reminiscent of arcane seals, were etched onto my arms. They seemed to be magic cancellers.

Trying to piece together the events leading up to this moment was a blur. 'How long had it been?' Was a question I had pondered during my little time awake.

Desperation began to weigh heavily on me.

The sombre ambience of the cell only deepened my sense of isolation.

Moments of fleeting hope would occasionally flash through my mind-memories of my family, the weight of the responsibilities they had entrusted me with, and the promises I had made.

The cold, hard floor provided no comfort, each chill exacerbating the hopelessness that gripped me. Yet, the very discomfort reminded me that I was alive.

Suddenly, a distinctive sound pierced the oppressive silence, akin to matriums coalescing from thin air, although I couldn't truly pinpoint its exact nature.

Straining my neck, I tried to discern the source of the disturbance. As my eyes adjusted to the dimness, a familiar silhouette became clear: Queen Valerie.

"Lyssa," Queen Valerie's voice was soft, almost melodic, resonating with a gentle authority, "the kingdom's view of you may have changed, but my perception is not so easily swayed."

I swallowed hard, trying to find my voice amidst the overwhelming surprise of her appearance. "Your Majesty, I'm innocent." My voice quivered slightly; it sounded weak.

The Queen walked in front of me; her gaze deepened, analysing me intensely.

"I believe you. It's truly unfortunate how many don't understand the sheer impossibility of procuring a death crystal," she murmured softly, her voice filled with a conviction that caught me off guard, "But my influence is limited in this matter. I've been sidelined for my unconventional views, only truly acknowledged when King Zaphreal supports my words or if I'm punishing criminals. Not to mention my bad reputation before I ever became a queen."

A complex mix of emotions washed over me-gratitude for the Queen's belief, coupled with the bitterness of our mutual helplessness.

A brief silence ensued, punctuated only by the distant sound of footsteps patrolling the dungeon.

"Your Majesty," I began, my voice filled with both trepidation and urgency, "What happens now? If the entire kingdom believes I'm guilty, and even you, with all your power, can't aid me, where do I find hope?"

"Sometimes, Lyssa, hope seeks you out in the darkest of moments. And if not, perhaps you'll find it in another lifetime."

The air in the dungeon grew colder, and for a moment, a melancholic silence prevailed, encapsulating the gravity of the situation.

Queen Valerie then stepped closer, reaching out to touch the arcane seals on my arm. As she did, a gentle warmth radiated from her fingers.

"How did you manage to enter this cell?" I weakly inquired, puzzled.

She met my gaze with an arcane smile, "To put it succinctly, I have the ability to appear wherever I desire-akin to teleportation."

Curiosity piqued, and I ventured another question, "What did you do to get such a bad reputation?"