I will punch you myself

Start from the beginning

"Ok, I will. I promise."

"Alright. Goodbye, little dove-"

"Goodbye. Thank you for calling," Indy says then cuts the call. It rings almost immediately and she answers, confused.

"Hello?"

"In this family we say, I love you, at the end of a call."

"Every call?"

"Every call."

"Oh..."

"Wanna try that again?"

"Yes please."

"Alright...Goodbye, little dove. I love you."

"Goodbye. I love you too."

Indy stares at her phone until the screen goes black. She replays the times she has sat next to Austin while he spoke on the phone to his brothers or parents and recalls him saying he loves them at the end of every call. Austin is just outside still busy with the truck. She calls him.

"Hello?"

"You want coffee?"

"I am no more than ten steps away from you. But, yes, I want coffee."

"Ok."

"OK. Love you, bye."

"Love you too," she says and puts down the phone. She sits down on the floor between Lucky and Miss Daisy. "They say I love you at the end of every call. Here, I will prove it to you," she says ringing Austin again and putting it on speakerphone so they can hear.

"Darlin'. It's too dam early in the morning to be a pain in my ass."

"Would you like sugar in your coffee?"

"I don't have sugar in my coffee."

"Oh, I forgot."

"You forgot?"

"Yes. Bye."

"Don't call me again. Love you, bye."

"Love you too."

She cuts the call and looks between Miss Daisy and Lucky, Peppermint too, who are looking at her like she is insane. "See! I told you. I have been told I love you three times this morning alone...I wonder if he will do it again. Evelyn said every call," she says dialing his number again.

"What are you doing?"

"Hi!"

"Not one the phone, Goldie. Look up."

Indy looks up and sees Austin leaning on the kitchen island with his arms folded as he looks at her. She looks at her phone and sees he declined the call. So she calls him again as she stares at him. He frowns at her but accepts the call.

"Yes?"

"You say you love me at the end of every call."

He stares at her with his phone to his ear then walks over to her and goes down on his haunches in front of her. "Those fucking people..." he says under his breath. She knows he is talking about her family, they never told her once that they loved her. Even as a child. "I say I love you at the end of every call. I say I love you when you go to sleep and again when you wake up. I say I love you when you go away from me and when you get back to me. I say I love you randomly. I weave it into my sentences and I show it in my actions. You do it too. Wanna know why?"

"Why?"

"Because, and this is very important, we love each other and it's nice to be told."

Indy drops her phone and curls her arms around his neck squeezing him tightly. "Indy, I will never hold love from you. Even when we fight. Even when we are so angry with each other we need a little space. If you tell me you love me I will tell you I love you too. Every time. Even when you are a pain in my ass."