Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Three days later, they received good news from the doctor that Kian responded to a test they did. Stacia couldn't help, but be happy that there was hope now. She knew he would get better. She was holding onto it. For how long it would take, she would stay until the end of times for her son.

"Have you seen Thamara, Stas?" Brian asked her.

She shook her head. "I haven't seen or talked to her since the last time she visited me back in the house. That was three days ago. Sure she must've been in contact with you. She was a daddy's girl."

"Well, if she was, she would've been calling me, but I haven't heard anything from her that's why I asked you," Brian said, making it seem like it was Stacia's problem their daughter had gone missing in action. "But I was just asking you. Don't make it look like I am blaming you."

Tumaas ang kilay sa sinabi ni Brian. "It was like you were imposing it already."

Napakibit balikat na lang din naman si Brian. Umikot ang mata ni Stacia at lumapit na lamang sa tabi ni Jordan. Hindi naman ito pumapagitna kapag nag-uusap ang dalawa. Even though he was aware of the current state of their relationship, obviously, divorced, he doesn't want to interfere and make his presence matter when there was more important thing to focus their attention on. Jordan was happy enough to be there for Stacia.

"Don't mind Brian whenever he was around," Stacia said, shaking her head.

Jordan held his hand. "Well, the only thing that I mind is seeing you with someone else when I'm not around." He smirked. Stacia looked at him and couldn't help, but laugh at him. Brian saw the way his ex-wife shared that laugh with her new man. He put his attention away, but sometimes he got really annoyed when these two had come together in the same room.

Saglit lamang ay may tumawag kay Jordan. He had to excuse himself so he went out of the room so he wouldn't be able to bother anyone inside. As he left the room, tahimik ang paligid. Ang lamig ng kwarto ang tila bumabalot sa kanilang katawan at ag ingay mula sa apparatus na nakakabit kay Kian ang tanging ingay na umaalingangaw sa paligid.

"You liked him?" Umangat ang ulo ni Stacia nang magsalita si Brian. Tiningnan niya naman ito at nakatingin ito sa kanya. "Jordan. Do you like him?"

She pressed her lips together. "He's a great man. . . Why do you ask? As if you really care, huh"

"Do you really think it was the best time to get yourself some strange man out there and just bring him here telling everyone you've found a new man."

"Why do you care, Jordan?" Napatayo si Stacia sa kanyang kinauupuan at may along inis ang tono sa pagtatanong nito. "As if you should care about what I do in my life right now. I didn't care if you fuck some woman out there that must've been ten years younger than your age. I didn't care. Did you hear anything from me? It wasn't me who got a woman pregnant."

Umintig ang panga nito. "Good thing, we're over."

"Good thing for me because I don't have to suffer from your hands again. You're wicked, selfish, and stupid. The only thing that I kept talking to you because our children. I wouldn't ever want to see you again."

"Neither do I!" sagot nito pabalik. "Marlyn was so different from you, Stacia."

"Of course, I wouldn't be her, and I wouldn't also be with a man who left his family to have a good time with her. I don't want to be that girl."

Bigla namang lumapit si Brian sa kanya. Nanginginig ang kalamnan ni Stacia, pero hindi lamang niya ipinapahalata sa dating asawa. He was fuming and she knew that if she let him notice she was scared of him, it wouldn't be good for her, but she stood on her feet, raising his chin up to show him that he could no longer step into her just like that.

Brian only turned his back away from Stacia when Jordan came back inside the room. Naabutan niya kung anong nangyari. Nakapakunot na lamang ang noo nito at diretsyong lumapit kay Stacia. Hinawakan ni Jordan ang babae sa magkabilang balikat habang diretsyo ang tingin nito sa kanyang mga mata.

"Are you okay?" he asked, the concern in his tone was plainly evident. Tumango na lamang si Stacia kahit sa loob-loob nito au hindi dahil nabagabag siya sa mga sinabi ni Brian. "Are you sure?"

Muli namang tumango ito upang ipahatid na walang problema. "I'm fine, Jord. . ."

"It doesn't look like it was," he said, so persistent.

Umiling naman si Stacia. "I'm fine, really. Don't worry about it."

"Okay. . . Because I have to go. It was my work and I needed to go there. I won't be taking too long. I will just have to visit the site and check what they were doing there and I'll be back here as soon as I can," he said. "If you want to, you can come with me. It wasn't that far. . . I just want to make sure you'll be fine."

"Go with him," pagsingit ni Brian sa kanilang usapan. "I can look after Kian. Go with him," pagdiin pa nito.

"I think it would be better if you would come with me. . ."

"Sure. . . Let's go. . ."

"Yeah. . ." He nodded. "Hey, man. We'll go for now."

Tango na lang din naman ang isinagot ni Brian. Kinuha ni Jordan ang bag ni Stacia at sabay na silang lumabas ng kwarto. Jordan wanted to ask what they were talking when he walked inside the room because he found Brian a little enraged at the moment. Nang maabutan niya sa gano'ng sitwasyon ang dalawa ay maaaring hindi maging maganda ang kahantungan no'n. Kahit papaano ay nakahinga naman ng maluwag si Jordan. Knowing all what her ex-husband did to her, they only way to keep her safe was to get her away from him.

As soon as they got out and went to Jordan's car, he assisted Stacia to settle on her seat. Once she was ready, Jordan roamed around to the other side of the car and hopped onto the driver's seat. He looked at Stacia and he noticed how she was looking too deeply into nothing. When he reached for her arm, para siyang bumalik sa mundo at nilingon ang lalaki.

"Why? Please tell me what happened. . . I hate to see you like this."

"It was just a little argument. You don't have to worry about it."

"I don't think I shouldn't. If I hadn't come into that moment, he might've hurt you. You know, from the moment you told me what he did to you, I couldn't stop thinking about it. If I could just be Kian's father, I would take his position."

That statement somehow brought some laughter to Stacia.

"What?" he was confused. "That was true!"

Stacia giggled. "If I had met you earlier, maybe I would end up with you. . ."

"Well, if not then, maybe now. . ." Ngisi pa nito. "But for now, I'm gonna bring you to where I work. It won't take us too long and maybe grab some food for us before we head back to the hospital."

Jordan started the car and drove away from the parking lot. He worked as an engineer looking over and managing construction operations. He has been in this field of work for the past decades and many people and clients have trusted his work. Stacia finding it out seemed too good to be true for her, so when Jordan invited her to see where he usually works, it would be exciting for her to delve into what his job looked like.

She might not know what the future lies for both of them, but at this moment, she knew that she was happy when he was around. The only person who kept him sane alone when all the people she cared about started hating and pushing her away from their lives. Good for her, Jordan was there to be a part of her life. She didn't believe he would stay knowing all the mess she had gone through in her relationship with him.

Stacia was hoping that being with Jordan might find something she was looking for. It might not be perfect—no one is, but enough to love her for who she is.

It didn't take them too long when they reached the area where he is currently working. Jordan invited her to go with her to see what he had been working on for the past few weeks. She was giddily enough to join her. Exploring and getting to know Jordan might be good for her and prove that they were wrong about him.

It wasn't just sex that he was after for her. It could be more than that. Well, if that was true, she wouldn't let this man go because in this world, no one would be sure how long a person would choose to stay with you.