12

So it's been a few days after the unicorn incident, and Dr. Saltzman and I spent those days trying to locate the urn. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, while Dr. Saltzman had that slug controlling his brain, he threw the urn in the river. Just what we needed.

"Well, Dorian didn't find anything in the river," Dr. Saltzman says as he enters his office.

"Because it's not there," I reply.

"How do you know?"

"Well, I started searching for things out of the ordinary, and check this out," I show him all the papers I've read. "Sandstorms, locusts, scorpions. These are mini-plagues," I explain.

"You're right. Dorian mentioned something like that happened to him and Emma."

"I think the river must've swept the urn downstream, and these plagues are a harbinger of whatever monster has to come for it."

When did you find out all of these?" Dr. Saltzman asks.

"Five minutes ago," I respond. I spend the nights here helping Dr. Saltzman, and I spend the day going to class and hanging out with Hope and the squad. This leads to the inevitable question, 'Y/N, when do you find time to sleep?' The simple truth is that I rarely do. I'm plagued by the same recurring dream, and it feels eerily real.

This isn't the first time it's happened either; I used to experience similar dreams as a child, but they eventually ceased.  Now, I think it's getting worse. Almost every night, I wake up in the middle of the night. Just yesterday, I awoke in the old mill, and it's starting to freak me out.

"Y/N? You seemed lost in thought," Dr. Saltzman remarked.

"Yeah, I'm okay, sorry about that," I responded.

"Are you certain everything's alright, kid?"

"I'm perfectly fine, Dr. Saltzman. As I was saying, if my theory is accurate, the urn should be located right here," I pointed to the spot on his map. "It appears to be a human-made reservoir, a dam, which could potentially contain the urn."

"Excellent, it's time for a road trip then. You can inform the girls, and I'll relay the message to Dorian and Caleb."

"Alright."

A road trip sounded amazing, until I realized that I had to spend hours crushed between Hope and Lizzie, who kept bickering. Josie was sitting next to us, feeling nauseous. Dr. Saltzman's poor choice of music didn't help, and if Lizzie punched me one more time, I swear I'd throw her out of the freaking van.

"Dr. Saltzman, this van is very white of you," Caleb says.

"It's retro," Dr. Saltzman responds.

"It's a gas-guzzling atrocity on wheels," Lizzie comments, and she has a point.

"I brought snacks," Hope chimes in.

"Sweet. Did you pack them before or after you decided to FOMO your way into our trip?"

"Like I'm gonna let you chase monsters without me," Hope retorts.

"I would've thought that you'd spend your spring break making out with the sleeping beauty," Lizzie responds, pointing at me, who is sound asleep.

"She's cute when she's sleeping," Hope smiles and pecks my cheek. "And sorry for wanting to help protect the world from my mistakes. You know, there's currently an urn on a river cruise spreading plagues across America because I thought a unicorn was cute. It's called accountability. Maybe there's a bracelet for it."

"Or maybe you just wanted to ruin yet another Saltzman Spring Break."

"When did I ever ruin one of your Spring breaks?"